I am using Indesign CS2. I've finished formatting my book and tried to export it to PDF.
It has all worked beautifully, with one snag: every font that was in small caps has displayed as squares.
If I change the style from small caps to "normal" or "all caps" then it displays in PDF correctly, even though it is the same font, same size etc.
Thing is, I really want to use small caps to differentiate my chapter headings as I think it looks stylish.
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?
When I create the PDF with Acrobat 5 it opens automatically so I can view it.
The font is arial and it displays correctly in "normal" or "all caps", just not in "small caps".
I do not know where to look to check that a font is embedded correctly.
Helena, another thought.
Try actually printing a sample to Acrobat's print driver if you can. See if it embeds properly then. If it does, it could indicate a preferences or even an installation issue. It can also be the old version of Arial as installed on your XP computer I suppose.
If printing to the PDF driver doesn't work, and Export (to PDF and using the High Quality Print preset) doesn't work, I don't know what can be up other than ID not liking a (possibly) old version of Arial.
Take care, Mike
Yes - definitely try another font, but also don't forget that you can use a character style to apply your small caps. Then, instead of actually using the small cap button, just reduce the size of the text in that character style and set it all in caps.
. . . unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.
Right, I tried a few different fonts, and none of them display smal caps properly when I use the "export" function to create the PDF.
However, when I use print/acrobat distiller, the PDF then displays the font in small caps as I wanted.
So I am hoping that there is no reason why I cannot use the distiller to create my PDF to send to a book printer.
Many thanks for your help :-)
Distilling, though not the preferred method of making PDF (no support for transparency or interactivity, for example) from ID, it will probably be OK for going to a commercial press.
BUT, there is something else deeply wrong. You should not be losing small caps on export.
Can you post a link to a sample page from that PDF with the missing glyphs? If you don't have a server or Drobbox or something, you can send it to yourself using YouSendIt.com, then post the link here, or send me the link in a private message if you don't wish to share with the world.
I've removed all the small caps and replaced them with all caps in a different font. It looks fine. Problem solved!
There is something even more pressing on me now --- Indesign is refusing to change a style.
The footnotes text is too small, so I want to change it up from 8pt to 9pt.
OK easy, I hear you say! Just go to paragraph styles> footnote> edit style> change the font size from 8 to 9. Well I did that 3 hours ago and have been fighting with it ever since.
Now I am going to have to highlight each and every one of the 650 footnotes and apply 10pt to them. If I had known 3 hrs ago that I was going to spend 3 hours fiddling, I would have spent that time changing the footnotes one by one.
OK, so this is a furter indication of some sort of document damage. First thing to try is an export to .inx (in some ways, you're lucky to be using CS2 -- .inx works better for this than the newer .idml). See Remove minor corruption by exporting
Thanks for that, I have just exported it to a INX file.
Let's see what happens next!
OK it imported well.... but all the footnotes ate in 8pt, even though they are showing as being in the style "footnote" which, if I click on edit style, is shown as 9pt.
I fear it will take me as long to format this book as it took to write it ;-(
As explained in the link, you open the .inx file in ID, and save as a new .indd file with a new name. DO NOT OVERWRITE THE OLD FILE. See if you are able to change your styles and export the PDF with small caps from the new file.
No, I just checked. But just to be safe I have deleted all footnote type styles from character styles. It didn't make a blind bit of difference, so I am now on my way to some serious RSI by highlighting and applying 9pt to the footnotes one by one. Jeez this is going to take me till bedtime :-(
I've made a breakthrough (after just 5 hours!) I redefined the footnote style and instead of it being based on normal, I based it on caption, which is 10pt, then I redefinte the footnote style as 9pt, and lo and behold it's changed about half the footnotes to 9pt. So I only have to change about 300 or so by hand. (Lucky I don't have a day job!)