Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Small caps display as squares when exporting to PDF

Apr 26, 2013 11:24 AM

Hello friends

I am using Indesign CS2. I've finished formatting my book and tried to export it to PDF.

It has all worked beautifully, with one snag: every font that was in small caps has displayed as squares.

If I change the style from small caps to "normal" or "all caps" then it displays in PDF correctly, even though it is the same font, same size etc.

Thing is, I really want to use small caps to differentiate my chapter headings as I think it looks stylish.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Helena

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to wojtczak

What are you using to view the PDF? Waht's the font? Did you check to see that it's embedded correctly?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to wojtczak

Don't have CS2.

The as installed High Quality Print preset should work.

capture-000262.png

Are you printing to postscript and distilling? Or using the Export (assuming CS2 has it)?

You would check in Acrobat for embedding. File | Properties.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 6:45 AM   in reply to wojtczak

wojtczak wrote:

Hi Peter.

When I create the PDF with Acrobat 5...

I'm not sure what that means.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to wojtczak

Helena, another thought.

Try actually printing a sample to Acrobat's print driver if you can. See if it embeds properly then. If it does, it could indicate a preferences or even an installation issue. It can also be the old version of Arial as installed on your XP computer I suppose.

If printing to the PDF driver doesn't work, and Export (to PDF and using the High Quality Print preset) doesn't work, I don't know what can be up other than ID not liking a (possibly) old version of Arial.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to wojtczak

Yes - definitely try another font, but also don't forget that you can use a character style to apply your small caps. Then, instead of actually using the small cap button, just reduce the size of the text in that character style and set it all in caps.

. . . unless I've misunderstood what you're trying to do.

Good luck!

Mal

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to wojtczak

Distilling, though not the preferred method of making PDF (no support for transparency or interactivity, for example) from ID, it will probably be OK for going to a commercial press.

BUT, there is something else deeply wrong. You should not be losing small caps on export.

Can you post a link to a sample page from that PDF with the missing glyphs? If you don't have a server or Drobbox or something, you can send it to yourself using YouSendIt.com, then post the link here, or send me the link in a private message if you don't wish to share with the world.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 6:56 AM   in reply to wojtczak

OK, so this is a furter indication of some sort of document damage. First thing to try is an export to .inx (in some ways, you're lucky to be using CS2 -- .inx works better for this than the newer .idml). See Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to wojtczak

As explained in the link, you open the .inx file in ID, and save as a new .indd file with a new name. DO NOT OVERWRITE THE OLD FILE. See if you are able to change your styles and export the PDF with small caps from the new file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 8:15 AM   in reply to wojtczak

Do you maybe also have a character style applied to the footnote text? That would thwart changes in the paragraph style...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points