Skip navigation
deko5511
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop on 2 computers

Apr 26, 2013 1:19 PM

I Just installed photoshop on my second computer and get a message that it is installed on more than 2 computers. What can i do?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 3:30 PM   in reply to deko5511

odd, i have two copies of CS6 installed on four computers (two Mac Pros and two Macbook Pros, all running on the same network) and i've never gotten a message like that...  maybe someone else used your serial number or you already installed it on two computers, try deactivating it on one of those... or call Adobe support and explain it to them is your only other option...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,478 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Apr 26, 2013 7:36 PM   in reply to deko5511

Possibly both of your activations somehow got used up on the same computer. 

You have to call Adobe support (I can never tell which it's supposed to be, customer support or technical support).  My experience has been that they're good at resolving these kinds of issues.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 10:01 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

What would be nice is for an option in our control preferences for the web account, that provides a link to deactivate all computers, then the individual computer could active like it normally does. Giving less headaches for us and one less thing Adobe has to do and can spend more time on other more important jobs.

Just a thought...

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 27, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

I think that the would not be easy to do> The process would need to access the machines being deactivated. User should be running their machines behind a firewall which would block any attempt made to deactivate the products on the machine.  Machines may be down or not responding. 

You do have a Deactivate option in activated product help menu so you can deactivate Products. However a problem the is not all that un-common are heads crash when this happens products activated on the crashed drive can not be deactivated. When this happens Adobe Customer Support is set to help you resolve the pro

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to JJMack

Hmm, I think it would be easy as the next time the suite was run it would get a license error. To my knowlege it has to verify at startup to see if it is legal. Or thats the way other companies are doing it. So I could be wrong. As far as I know the activation is stored at Adobe's mainframe not on the users system.

If I am wrong it wouldn't be hard for them to switch it for a new version.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:47 PM   in reply to JJMack

The process would need to access the machines being deactivated. User should be running their machines behind a firewall which would block any attempt made to deactivate the products on the machine.  Machines may be down or not responding.

Activation counts are stored on Adobe servers. No need to access local machines to deactivate them individually.

A phone call to Adobe can get Adobe staff to reset the activation count to 1 or 0. Why not allow users to log in to their Adobe account on the website and manage this process themselves? Piracy is the only reason I can think of - pirates are unlikely to call Adobe for a reset.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 27, 2013 8:48 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Why would that happen the machine need not be connected to the web and the valid activation credentials are still on the machine. The were not deactivated so why would they fail?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:49 PM   in reply to John Waller

Ah, didn't think of that. But if the priracy measures that are there for installing the software work, in that the user must create a web account, then that account should be a legal account.

Just thinking out loud again...

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 27, 2013 8:55 PM   in reply to John Waller

No machine do not need to be connected to the web to use Adobe products once they have been activated they also work off line Activation credentials are stored on the local machine during activation... And the activation is recorded on Adobe activation server and your licence number is stored into your Adobe user account.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:57 PM   in reply to JJMack

I thought I read somewhere that the system had to be connected to the web? In that instance if the system no longer connected it would fail. However, if the user actived by phone, then my point may be moot. I never tried it via phone, so I don't know how it really works, but abobe could email a link which the end user could type into the activation screen to activate it without the web, but after that point, it woulodn't make sense for the end user to repeat that process every so many days. It would be a nightmare.

As you can tell, I am only guessing at the innerworkings. This maybe one of the reasons why programer's seam to prefer web activations.

If it wasn't for those pesky pirater's and spammers and anyone else that falls into that catagory, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Apr 27, 2013 9:10 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Yes and you can retrive your licence number from your valid user account should you loose it. You can only activate two machines. If Adobe can not deactivate a machine an activation is recorded in use.  If you could have that reset thne you can activate as many machine as you want. Adobe would only know you a parite if several were being used at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 12:32 AM   in reply to JJMack

Thats why I thought it would be OK to have a way via the web to only deactivate. And the individual system could act normally as it does now. That way anyone acessing the site could only deactivate and never activate a system. If the original owner received a license error, they could verify with adobe that someone had hacked their account but doing so would not allow that hacker to use that license since it belongs to the software on the current computer, it would require the hacker to retrive the software from the owner.

Doing it that way, Adobe still can have a limit on how many systems can run at once or have installed. Where this helps is when one or both systems crash at 3 in the morning and the software needs to be running in a few hours. Maybe there is a night crew handling the phones, but if it was web accesible the IT guy or lonely user could reinstall and reset the license and reactivate.

The problem with the way it is now, is the license is set in a way that if the drive needs to be reformated and then the software gets reactived it is counted again even though it is the same system with the same hard drive.

Anyway odds of that happening are remote, but it can happen...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points