Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

two WP themes in Dwvr -root level index.php issues

Apr 26, 2013 2:11 PM

Tags: #php #wordpress

If someone could point me in the right direction. I had been editing a wordpress theme based on Brian Wood's tutorial. Now I set up a new Dwvr site and want to edit a different theme, but the root- level index.php and the theme level index.php or that custom home.php still reflect the old theme when I try to view it at //localhost. I have WordPress installed in my root-level folder. Do I need to change the file structure, or is this a database configuration issue? Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 2:15 PM   in reply to Quahog68

Themes are applied to the site from the on-line WordPress Admin Panel.

Are you making a child theme?

http://wp.tutsplus.com/tutorials/theme-development/child-themes-basics -and-creating-child-themes-in-wordpress/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Quahog68

Unless you're an expert coder, the only files you should be editing are those in your Themes folder.  Tampering with code outside the Themes folder could result in a broken site.  Creating Child Themes saves you from yourself -- in the event you ruin your new Theme,  you can always revert back to the original one.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to Quahog68

I have 2 WP sites that I'm currently working on. Nancy is spot on when she suggests having a child theme. You can break it all day long on your localhost and then once its perfect FTP it to your server.... Good luck!

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 6:31 PM   in reply to Quahog68

I believe Brian Wood's tutorials are shown in  CS5 so its current - CS6 has some newer ways to get things done, but either version work great for editing WP

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points