Skip navigation
meekoelliott
Currently Being Moderated

Music video editing

Apr 26, 2013 5:37 PM

Tags: #video #rendering #separate #music

The way I want to edit my music video is rendering each camera angle separately.  I want to line up camera angle one to the music, render, and move on to camera angle 2 and do the same thing.  After that I want to bring each file back into premiere to edit a full music video.  Is this a good way to do it, or are there any other good techniques to use?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 6:56 PM   in reply to meekoelliott

Hi meekoelliott,

You might look into multicamera editing. Alot of music videos are cut that way.
    Check out this video tutorial for details:
    http://vimeo.com/38573242

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to meekoelliott

Is this a good way to do it

I don't think so.  Seems like more work than necessary.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:15 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

Is this a good way to do it

I don't think so.  Seems like more work than necessary.

You'd just line up the cams on V1 and V2 and cut to the music track then?

Multicam might come in handier when you've got more than 2 cameras.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:21 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

I meant Elliott's way seems like more work.  Multicam is the easy way.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:25 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

I meant Elliott's way seems like more work.  Multicam is the easy way.

Thanks for clarifying.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to meekoelliott

meekoelliott wrote:

The way I want to edit my music video is rendering each camera angle separately.  I want to line up camera angle one to the music, render, and move on to camera angle 2 and do the same thing.  After that I want to bring each file back into premiere to edit a full music video.  Is this a good way to do it, or are there any other good techniques to use?

This is, IMHO, unnecessary work that may well degrade the visual quality of your final output. One thing PPro is good at is multi-cam editing. Investigate how that's done in PPro before doing what you propose. PPro's multi-cam editing is all non-destructive editing, so your visual quality is as high as possible because it's all based on your original footage. If you render (make digital intermediates) your new files are created by uncompressing the originals, then running them through a CODEC again to create the new files, which is sort of like re-compressing a jpg. Not a great idea. And you're still left with the problem of syncing the various camera angles. So what, really, have you gained?

One of the things I've leared about PPro (and nearly all complex software, no matter who made it) is that fighting against the way the software wants you to work is almost always an exercise in frustration that almost always leads to lower quality output. This from a guy with 25+ years in architecting and writing big complex software. Do with my observations what you will.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points