Skip navigation
Skip7710
Currently Being Moderated

Problems Creating Videos

Apr 26, 2013 6:05 PM

Tags: #premiere_elements_10

I have used Premier Elements 10 for quite some time.  I take videos from various sources, edit them, cutting and pasting and then save them creating another video.  Most of the time the new video runs fine on Windows Media Player with little or no black border around the video.

Lately when I have created some videos when they playback there is a sizeable black border around the video and I don't know how to get rid of this.  It think it has something to do with the settings I am using when creating the video, but I am too much of a novice to know that to do.  Where can I go in Premier Elements to check settings and what should the be?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 6:17 PM   in reply to Skip7710

Skip7710

Do you see black borders around your video displaying in the monitor while it is still in the Edit Mode of Premiere Elements 10?

Have you selected the correct project preset? First thing that you need to determine are the properties of your source media. If you do not know this information from your camera and its settings, then you can use a free properties read out program such as MediaInfo.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

You want to know video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, aspect ratio, scan type (progressive or interlaced), scan order (if interlaced, upper or lower field first). That information should direct your choice of the project preset in the new project dialog. You want a project preset that matches the properties of your source video. Often if you have selected the wrong project preset, the program will let you know when you drag the file to the Timeline for the first time in that project.

A match will insure (among other things) that the program will set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes. The other half of the equation is the export settings. How do you intend to export your Timeline content? Once we know source media properties and project preset details then we can focus in on the details of the export choice and it specific settings.

If you supply that initial information, all will be able to suggest ways to avoid some issues that you are running into.

Thanks. We will be watching for your follow up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 8:38 PM   in reply to Skip7710

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Skip7710

As others have stated, black bars, whether on all sides, letterboxed (top and bottom), or pillarboxed (both sides), are a result of a mis-match between the Sequence/Project settings, and the Source material, or if on output, between the Sequence/Project and the Export/Share settings. This article addresses those mis-matches: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3797172#3797172

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points