Skip navigation
Dathaeus
Currently Being Moderated

Learning curve

Apr 26, 2013 6:07 PM

Hi all... I've been using PS for a long while, professionally and recreationally, so I want to ask some of you for perspective's sake... I do teach and tutor a lot, including computers, sports, etc., so I usually tend to believe I can teach anyone anything quickly and easily as they are willing to learn and work and put in reps.

Someone is interested in a program that would mass resize a 1000 images.  Obviously without any real graphics expertise I can see that is a daunting and depressing task.  To me, its a PS batch process that takes about 3 minutes to set up as long as I know what size/res I want them at.  Also I think this isn't near the rocket science of pathing, masking, blending, and producing aesthetic beauty from a plain picture.

So in all neutral honesty, I would encourage and show this person to use PS to click several times, record the action, and then use that action in the batch process.  Not sure how much simpler a computer process can be.

And then was the discussion of cost.  Not everyone can afford hundreds of dollars for this type of process when there are some free programs that do it.  However, it is not illegal to use older software like PS version CS1, sold for under $50 all over, used or unused.  Why do they need CS6, they don't.  Even PS 6 would do.

So to me its a no brainer that for $40, they can have one of the best design tools in the world, can easily batch resize, but if needed, have about 105759475 other useful tools they can use as well in the future.

Am I jaded in this view because I have been a fan for so long?  Do you think this is too expensive and too much for a regular blogger or casual web designer to use?  (I can't help chuckling even asking this question, sorry)  Please provide me with a reality check, and also, it would help if you could tell me your years and type of experience with graphic design and PS, thanks!

[[ duplication removed by admin ]]

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 26, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to Dathaeus

That was one massively long post. 

No, I didn't read it.  I lost all interest by the middle of your second paragraph.  I know I'm old and tired, but I wonder whether many forum users will read farther than I did. 

My feeling is that you would get more and better responses if you focus on concise questions.

Some of the standard advise applies here as well:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2013 7:06 PM   in reply to Dathaeus

I'm lost too. What is your question?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:20 AM   in reply to Dathaeus

Dathaeus wrote:

Process:

Execute a batch to resize multiple images in one folder (provided a professional shows them how, step by step)

What (in your opinion) is the minimum Photoshop level of expertise needed:

Beginner, intemediate, advanced, expert…

Inasmuch as this is a trivial task, I'd trust anyone with an IQ above room temperature in degrees Celsius to be able to accomplish it after seeing it done once in the Image Processor of Photoshop.

Are you being serious? 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:38 AM   in reply to Dathaeus

However, it is not illegal to use older software like PS version CS1, sold for under $50 all over, used or unused.

Not all of those offers may, while the proper transfer of license is legally possible, be legit.

I haven’t used this program, but it may be an alternative for resizing:

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points