Skip navigation
emcyoyo
Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator crashes when I'm opening documents

Apr 27, 2013 2:43 AM

Tags: #illustrator #crash #windows #7 #1 #servicepack

Hi there.

I just installed Illustrator on my Acer Aspire S3 w/ Windows 7 Service pack 1. I'm starting out with the 30 day trial.

I can't seem to find out what the problem is, but:

Whenever I try to open the program, I get to the first step, where I see the black background, the panels above and on the sides and all that.

But already at the next step it goes wrong, when I'm trying to open an existing document or a new, it just crashes, and tells med that "Illustrator stopped working" (translated).

I have no idea what to do, so any kind of help would be amazing!

Regards,

Emil

Replies
  • Chris Campbell
    9,456 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to emcyoyo

You had posted in the AIR forums so I've moved this to the Illustrator forum in hope that someone can help.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to emcyoyo

I have a similar issue that every one of our graphic designers are experiencing within Adobe Illustrator.  Installing SSD's on all their laptops has at least let them continue working without the program completely crashing, but every Save and Open action causes Illustrator to cease up like a catatonic patient for nearly 5 minutes.

I've read other posts about this issue on these forums and some so-called experts are recommending upwards of 32GB of RAM to solve this issue.  As an IT consultant I find that absolutely reprehensible especially considering Illustrator NEVER uses anywhere near that much.  Every laptop we use Illustrator on has 8GB of ram and I've never seen Illustrator use more than 2GB, and ususally it isn't even close to that.

Also, considering Adobe's track record of buggy software (and forums) and the actual symptoms of the OP and my phenomena lead me to believe the problem lies in the way Illustrator's code accesses sectors of storage devices.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to Scizyr

Where are the files located? On the hard disk? If not, move them there and try again.

Have you checked fonts recently? Illustrator is very picky about fonts.

Is a printer connected and the driver up to date?

and @Scizyr: Which version? until CS5 Illustrator couldn't address more then 3 GB of RAM. Version CS6 can.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points