Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Better color correction techniques in Photoshop?

Apr 27, 2013 5:42 AM

Hi,

I am taking photos of parts for a client.  I've got a pretty good method down with correcting the originals to achieve the results I need.  First here is the original.  I'm using different color temp light sources, the walls of the photo box are slightly gray, and the table the parts are sitting on are white.  So i'm trying to achieve the most accurate camera settings to get the original below:

001.jpg

After doing levels and exposure correction in PSD, I get what I want.  See below:

002.jpg

There's just one issue I want to know how to do but haven't figured it out yet.  I played around with the channel mixer and color balance to see if I can properly correct the object so it looks like gray steel, and not having that slight yellow/green tint to it.

The only way I could figure it out is to just turn off the hue saturation and it gives it a somewhat decent result as seen below:

003.jpg

But suppose my object is made of gold, or has a piece of plastic on it that's red; if so, then turning off the saturation will not work.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can use other controls in PSD to achieve a more accurate result?

Thanks --

The Deaf Guy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to Michael Walton

But suppose my object is made of gold, or has a piece of plastic on it that's red; if so, then turning off the saturation will not work.

Could you post one such image?

I don’t work as a photographer, but shouldn’t you put a color chart into the shot if you strive for a truthful color reproduction?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to Michael Walton

You could put a Curves Adjustment Layer over the exposure-corrected image and click on a part that should be gray with its "set gray point" sampler set to average a few pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 6:34 AM   in reply to Michael Walton

Printing a chart may not be good enough but you may need a proper one (ceramic or plastic, I guess).

Is the image you posted the original or have you edited it already?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points