Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

questions about disks for future versions

Apr 27, 2013 2:12 PM

Am I correct in saying there will be no CS7 on disk?  I have AE CS6 courtesy of CS6 Production Premium but I believe only those with monthly subscriptions are supported in the future?

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to DumbMarine

There will be no physical media in any form, but you will be able to get conventional downloads of suites and soem standalone products just liek in the past.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 9:33 AM   in reply to DumbMarine

The question of whether the software is distribued on disks or by download is an entirely different question than whether the software is licensed by subscription membership or by a one-time fee.

We have already stated that future versions will be distributed by download, not as shrinkwrapped disks. This article covers this well:

http://prodesigntools.com/adobe-ends-cs6-boxed-copies.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 2:19 PM   in reply to DumbMarine

Also, regarding fixes for CS6:

We will still be issuing bug-fix updates for CS6. We have many times released bug-fix updates for a version even after the next version is released for sale.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 7:39 PM   in reply to DumbMarine

> I beg to differ Todd.  My memory is that very little comes from Adobe after new version is released?

You recall incorrectly. For example...

Here are details about a bug-fix update for CS4 after CS5 was released:

http://bit.ly/dd0rIe

Here are details about a bug-fix update for CS5 after CS5.5 was released:

http://adobe.ly/10kvkpB

And, as I said, we will be issuing at least one bug-fix update for CS6 in the future. I don't understand why you would want to argue with me telling you that, since I'm one of the people working on it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:40 PM   in reply to DumbMarine

It sounds like you want a perpetual license instead of a software subscription. I've heard of no plans to discontinue purchasing a licensed version.

There is no difference in downloading and burning your own disk, or saving the disk image to a hard drive or flash storage except you need an Internet connection instead of a mail box. I have both a Creative Cloud membership for the entire suite and a perpetual license for the Master Collection. Downloading is certainly more convenient and for me just as good as disks. Even more convenient. I have all of my software downloads stored on a backup HD, in the cloud (not Adobe's but mine) and in an external HD in my safe. I can always get to a backup from nearly anywhere in the world. It sure beats having to have someone FedX me a set of install disks when I have a problem when I'm on location.

BTW, I've been delivering all of my work product for more than 6 years by FTP. Not one of my clients has asked for a DVD since 2005. I do commercial work, this is probably different for many folks, but my stack of DVD-R's is very old and I've only used about 4 of the 25 original BluRay disks I bought. I can't even remember the last time I plugged in the burner.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:56 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Now this is weird. On my system the title of this thread is Re: cinema 4d integration if I open the forum from this link:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/aftereffects_general_discussion

But if I open from this link:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/aftereffects_general_discussion?view =discussions&start=0&numResults=30

the title of the thread is "questions about disks for future versions"

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 6:19 AM   in reply to Rick Gerard

Wow, that is weird. Somethings up with the web page. I just bimped into this as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to lasvideo

I branched the part of the conversation about general matters of future versions off from the conversation about Cinema 4D. The forum software doesn't update the name of the individual posts, just the top-level name of the thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

To add my customer POV into this discussion, I prefer a DVD over download only for a bunch of reasons. First of it feels more like actually buying and owning stuff. I read some EULAs and I know this is an illusion ut stil... Then of course it's a matter of quality and security. I have tons of burned CDs and DVDs that aren't readable after five years of storage in a dark drawer while "real" CDs and DVDs don't have this kind of issues. I could install AE3 any time without having to worry about read errors or if my ISP, router, network card etc. grant me access to the interwebs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)