Skip navigation
--Anna--
Currently Being Moderated

Renders are low quality, help please.

Apr 27, 2013 7:42 PM

Hello. I am very new to animating and using After Effects.

Recently I have animated a walk cycle. This walk cycle is 1960 px by 1080 px. In After Effects, the animation looks like this. When I render, the animation looks like this.

I want the pixel dimensions to be 480 px by 270 px or similar, while maintaining a bright, clean look as seen in After Effects. How would I achieve this?

I have tried rendering as avi, flv, MPEG, h.264 and adjusting the 'resize quality' setting to high. Could someone please tell me how to set the render options to be 480 px by 270 px while looking clean?

(I have no problem with rendering a high quality 1960 px by 1080 px animation, but this is not appropriate for email or displaying on Facebook. )

Thank you for reading, 
                                 - Anna.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 27, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to --Anna--

480x270 is a very low resolution. Simply, if you are only using a small number of pixels, the result will not appear sharp.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:11 PM   in reply to --Anna--

I assume this is for web use...Hence the tiny size. Have you considered exporting as Flash, FLV, F4V?  OR See Custom when you click on export options in Render Q

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to --Anna--

If you want your final movie to be 480 pixels wide (which is very small) then your comp should be 480 pixels wide to start with. If you think you ever would want it bigger then working a HD Comp is probably a better idea. Scaling things down will always reduce quality but there are better ways to do it than use the resize feature in the Output Module is my least favorite way to resize anything. You need the power of multi pass rendering to render high quality videos for delivery to the web. You can only get that with the Adobe Media Encoder. You can add your comps to the AME.

BTW, I put full HD quicktimes on YouTube all the time and they play just fine on FaceBook. You shouldn't ever be e-mailing movies, but you can host them somewhere like Vimeo or YouTube and e-mail links.

Here's a look at some of the options in the AME for H.264 I'd suggest one of teh 480P options if you really need that size. You'll get much better results:

options.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:29 PM   in reply to --Anna--

The format you are choosing is small pixels as Todd was mentioning. I suggest FLV out.  Just becuase the player is set at 418x532 does not mean the file is larger. Look at the lossless line in Render area. Reduce by 50% so it is a smaller file and try FLV especially if it  Vector Art.  That is a Flash file I believe.

Please on another note... I want to know if your AE work interface has a minus, reduce and close like a browser in the Top RHside? I  ask because I have been having problems with AE for two days and think that is missing? Thank you in advance

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:34 PM   in reply to --Anna--

Rick is the Man... Send it over to Media Encoder if you have it... There it can be encoded like Sorenson squeeze keeping entegrity while compressing the file. As Rick stated you should set your comp size to what you are going to be your finish size...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:38 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Hey Rick Quick ? as Anna looked over it. Not to jack this thread. I got issues on my puter for the last two days. I could of sworn AE has the browser close and minus icons in the Top RHside to close or minus, or shrink. Mine are gone!  IF I uninstall reinstall must I deactivate AE as it was a suite I bought and paid for the  discs..?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to --Anna--

Yes Anna, thank you. I thought you did not see it. I am going crazy over here. I have the same puter as you. Media Encoder comes with the Suite. Did you get the Suite? Or a stand alone AE?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 9:51 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Netcommercial, do you mean the standard Windows icons at the upper right corner? If so, I haven't opened CS6 on a Windows machine in months and I never used those icons either so I can't tell you for sure if they should be there. I know that the look of Widows 8 is a lot different and MSWord is really hard to get around on the new OS because of the look changes so maybe they went away in AE. I just don't know.

As far as deactivating for a re-install, that's always a good idea. It shouldn't be a problem if you are staying on the same machine but why take the chance.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 10:02 PM   in reply to --Anna--

See link above. Check it out... You can also do my original idea of export as SWF see File>Export> Export as Flash (SWF) file will be smaller.... Or try the comp settings Cntrl "K" and change the parameters to a smaller file before doing so then check the quality. IF that is Vector Art and you have the Little sunshine icon checked in your Time line you should be good.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 27, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to Netcommercial

Sunshine ICON "I call it"

sunshine.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to --Anna--

> I'm just using After Effects CS6, not a suite. I'll download a trial of Adobe Media Encoder.

Adobe Media Encoder is installed by After Effects.

BTW, SWF export from After Effects does not export vectors except in a very narrow range of conditions. I would never recommend SWF export from After Effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to --Anna--

NO you will want to Cntrl "K" to open your Comp settings to adjust the size of it... According to Todd you DO have MEDIA ENCODER already. I have yet to see it? Maybe it's the small amount of choices under Custom Tab for export? Hopefully Todd will ring in with a specific path to access it or, you can google using Media encoder in AE 6

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 10:51 AM   in reply to Netcommercial

You open Adobe Media Encoder like you open any other application (e.g., from the Start menu on Windows, the Application folder on Mac OS). You can then add compositions from After Effects to the Adobe Media Encoder (AME) encoding queue in a number of ways, including dragging them from the Project panel in After Effects to the AME queue or choosing Add After Effects Composition in AME.

Details:

http://helpx.adobe.com/content/help/en/media-encoder/using/add-items-e ncoding-queue.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 11:24 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I was not sure I ever saw it as an option in the Render Que.. Yet, I have the M.Collection so I have that already. As does Anna apparently, from you last post. I posted the link how to use it, I just assumed that it was not there for her, as she stated; "she needed to Dload a free trial".  Hence me asking how to find it in AE, which you don't, you open it from start then select a file, etc....

So Anna there you go.. Start>Programs>Adobe Media Encoder voila' You will need to export your large HD file out of AE and park it somewhere so you can find it with M.E to encode it. However I would still shrink it to the size you are going to render it to via Comp Settings. No point in compressing pixels if you have it there to do right, as Rick originally stated. I was only trying to give a work around as I thought you did not have M.E hence the SWF suggy.

Peace

NC

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points