Skip navigation
lushkie52
Currently Being Moderated

Re: Recompose Tool

Apr 28, 2013 1:00 AM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_9

Being new to PS Elements 9, I tried the recompose tool on my own.  It worked well and I achieved the correction in my photo.  I went to save it and noticed that the extension on the file name was changed from a .jpg to .psg  I did not know what to do and tried to change it to a .jpg extension.  When I hit SAVE, I got a strange image on my screen which replaced the amended photo that I'd worked so very hard on.  Have I lost that amended photo?  It shows up in my organizer but doesn't appear as the amended photo.  Can it be retrieved?  And what does this image mean - it looks like a torn photograph. The guide book I had been using did not mention any warnings about saving an amended photo.  I can start from scratch but would rather not. 

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 11:50 AM   in reply to lushkie52

If you saved in a version set try clicking the right-pointing arrow on the thumbnail to see all copies in the Organizer.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to lushkie52

I'm extremely confused by your post, becauser PSE can't create anything with that file extension. Did you type it in manually? PSE can create a psd file or a pse file, but not a psg file.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 4:47 PM   in reply to lushkie52

Hi lushkie

Just open the psd file, flatten the image if necessary.  Then "save as" and in the drop-down box of file type it probably now shows jpg.  If not, then change to jpg.

Basically you can take it that you cannot share psd images (unless of course the other person has Photoshop)

All sweet !

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to lushkie52

Your friend may be able to open a psd file, but they tend to behave oddly in non-adobe programs. It's better to save in a more standard format like Tiff or jpeg.

EDIT A jpeg file can't have layers in it. If you have a layered file you will have to save your jpeg file as a copy--it's PSE's way of protecting you from inadvertently flattening (i.e. consolidating) your layers and then finding out that they're gone. Just keep track of the location when you do the save as a copy and then you'll know where to find it to attach it for emailing.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:35 PM   in reply to lushkie52

Hi lushkie

The process I outlined is so that you still have the psd file (with its layers) in case you want to do more work on it.  But you will also end up with a jpeg (also known as jpg) file to send or print etc.  To flatten means to flatten all the layers so that you just end up with one.  It may be that you only have one layer in the first place anyway - you can press f 11 if you want to check this and a box will pop up on the right to show you.  Pressing f 11is a toggle switch so you can hit, to hide, and again, to show.

Anyway back to flatten.  Go to layers pull down menu and it is the very bottom item.  If you have layers showing then when you flatten you will see them all condense into one. 

Barbara Brundage's missing manual is great.  Have been dipping into it quite a bit in the last month.  She is very thorough.  I love Scott Kelby's book on PE11 but he does not write much on layers whereas Barbara has heaps about them.

From what I have seen in written form you have made the right choice with her book so stick with it. 

Let us know how you get on.  If anything unclear come back with details.

Good luck !

Jim

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points