Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to distribute group of objects evenly around a circle?

Apr 28, 2013 8:30 AM

Tags: #data #visualization

Hello,

I am working on a personal data visualization project but currently stuck and can't go forward. As you can see below in the image, I created all my data bars and tried to distribute them on a 360 degree path myself.

http://f.cl.ly/items/2M26182f09162P0k2l1F/Screen%20Shot%202013-04-28%20at%205.22.32%20PM.png

But clearly, I couldnt able to create a perfect 360 path.

All of the bars are each group objects on their own. I am sure there is a way to distribute them perfectly on Illustrator but I cant find it. There is a option on Blend>Replace Spine but it is not active.

Thanks for your responses,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to etherialcan

Perhaps time to buy the ColliderScribe plug-in... Otherwise you could of course use numerical transforms and custom guides with snapping, but it seems to me you have made quitre a mess of your rotations, so that's gonna take a while to straighten it out...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 3:28 PM   in reply to etherialcan

etherialcan,

You may have a look at this recent thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5248531#5248531

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to etherialcan

If you really want to do things this way you need to know where the centre of the circle is, so at least start by dragging ruler guides to intersect at the centre.

But frankly I suspect that you are barking up the wrong tree. There seems to be far too much information to be usefully or economically presented in this fashion.

Why do you want to present the information radially? Have direction and distance got anything to do it? (There is no way to see what information is being presented here.)

Have you considered who might possibly be bothered to read or interpret a diagram like this?

If not, your visual communication is haywire and you should consider doing it differently.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 1:36 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

I wasn't going to discuss this, since it usually annoys people, but Steve is of course 100% right (aside from your issues pulling it off technically). The data is way too dense to discern anything and the bars way too long because you did not choose to normalize the values to more sensible ranges.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 2:58 AM   in reply to Mylenium

It is not my intention to annoy anyone.

But I have been in the graphics/visual communication business for the best part of a lifetime and know that this kind of thing is best avoided unless there is a very sound reason for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

I wasn't implying that you annoy people, but touching such topics has a way of getting out of hand quickly, that's why I have learned to try and avoid them, no matter how I may feel about some not so great design work at times...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points