Skip navigation
wendywoo2805174
Currently Being Moderated

Why does my photoshop say it needs to close whenever I open any file using bridge?

Apr 28, 2013 10:06 AM

I use my photoshop daily and have about 50000 images on my computer so very much need the bridge to be able to view them all and select the ones I want.

for the past few days I have been getting "photoshop has encountered an error and needs to close" every time I try to open a file through bridge, quite often I also get the same error message on the bridge as well a few seconds later.

I have tried reinstalling photoshop, I even tried deleting all the presets which I have added over the years and trying it straight from the reinstall, it still does the same,

I also completely cleared all the appdata for both photoshop and bridge, with no change to the problem, any ideas what could be causing this.

I have saved the full error reports from a couple of the shutdowns if they are any help

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2013 2:34 AM   in reply to wendywoo2805174

I have saved the full error reports from a couple of the shutdowns if they are any help

They would indeed as would having some exact system and version info. Regarding your problem you might also need to sift through your image folders and delete the Bridge Cahcde files or evcen the XMP stuff. Could be that something you did intorduced flakey data and now whenever Bridge is trying to open it, it crashes...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 10:22 AM   in reply to wendywoo2805174

Hi there, because the forum you originally posted in is for beginners trying to learn the basics of Photoshop, I moved your question to the Photoshop General Discussion forum, where you'll get more specialized help.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 11:26 AM   in reply to wendywoo2805174

What OS, how much free space for Bridge Cache, RAM, scratch disk?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 5:33 PM   in reply to wendywoo2805174

Hope you meant uninstalled and reinstalled rather than deleted.  That could be bad.

Have you reset the preferences in Bridge and PS?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,991 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 5:38 AM   in reply to wendywoo2805174

wendywoo2805174 wrote:

yes I did mean uninstall rather than delete. I have actually uninstalled the entire adobe suite now and re-installed it but the problem is still occuring constantly, im completely stuck as to what could be causing it. everything else on my computer is working fine.

All the settings are back to their original status from the disk, & I have installed all the updates

Uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Photoshop does not remove and generate new user preferences unless you use a particular un-install option.  It is very possible that your old Adobe Application Preferences are still being used when running Photoshop and the Bridge from an old userid that had used the Photoshop version in the past.

To make sure  you have new preference files for your user ID on your windows system.  Use Windows Folder Option panel view tab and turn on show hidden files, folders and drives and un-check the first two Hide options so you can see  you userid preferences folders.

With Bridge and Photoshop both closed down use Window's File Explorer and navigate to "C:\Users\Your User ID\AppData\Roaming\Adobe". In that folder you will see your user id Adobe applications preference folders.  Rename the following folders:

"Adobe Mini Bridge CS6" to "Adobe Mini Bridge CS6 Old"

"Adobe Photoshop CS6" to "Adobe Photoshop CS6 Old"

"Bridge CS6" to "Bridge CS6 Old"

Start the Bridge and then try to open an image in pdotoshop from it.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to wendywoo2805174

wendywoo2805174 wrote:

yes I did mean uninstall rather than delete. I have actually uninstalled the entire adobe suite now and re-installed it but the problem is still occuring constantly, im completely stuck as to what could be causing it. everything else on my computer is working fine.

All the settings are back to their original status from the disk, & I have installed all the updates

To reset the preferences in Bridge hold down the Ctrl key and start Bridge.  You should get a reset window with 3 options.  Choose all 3.

To reset the preferences in PS start PS and IMEDIATELY hold down the ctrl alt and shift keys.  You will get a reset window if fast enough.

An uninstall and reinstall rarely solves a problem.  If you suspect a file contamination problem you would have to run the Adobe Scipt Cleaner after the uninstall.

THe report you sent means nothing to me.  You want to look in the Event View (crash report).  Ideally you want to find the line that says Faulting Module.  That is where problem lies.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points