Skip navigation
anon125
Currently Being Moderated

how long can an AVCHD be?

Apr 28, 2013 11:07 AM

there used to be a half hour limit- probably because of the limit on a DVD.maybe it can go on a Blu-ray disc?

thanks all

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 11:18 AM   in reply to anon125

anon125

Owing to the differences between disc capacity and computer resources, it would be helpful if not essential to have details on your intended workflow to give you a relevant response.

These details should include: computer resources, source media properties, intended export goals and more. AVCHD is a very resource demanding format.

Looking forward to your follow up.

I am not sure of your background, so please excuse these quick just in case reminders:

DVD-R Standard: 4.7 GB/120 min. That 4.7 GB is in reality 4.3 GB

DVD Double Layer: 8.5 GB/240 min. That 8.5 GB is in reality 7.3 GB

Blu-ray disc: 25 GB or 50 GB several hours.

When you talk about

"there used to be a half hour limit- probably because of the limit on a DVD"

I suspect you are referring to doing a Premiere Elements project heading for DVD-VIDEO on standard DVD disc. As I recall, the recommendation was no more than 90 minutes on that type of disc for best results. But lots of factors involved besides disc capacity.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to anon125

I am with ATR on the request for more info.

My assumption is that you are asking how much AVCHD material will fit on a DVD-Video disc, to be burned on a BD burner, and played on a BD player. Is that correct? If so, the Duration of AVCHD that will fit onto a blank DVD will still be about the same.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more about what you wish to do, and what you are working with.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to anon125

PS the insert link does not work on this forum

This is a browser-specific issue. My Chrome used to work well with Insert Link, but with a fairly recent forum update, it stopped. I can still use that in my IE 8, but then it does not allow me to Insert Image, which I use more often.

You can just Copy/Paste the URL into the body text of your reply.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points