Skip navigation
nefrin
Currently Being Moderated

learning indesign 4/28/13

Apr 28, 2013 11:34 AM

Hello, I am having trouble with fill and stroke settings I set my stroke to 1pt. and no fill select rectangle tool draw rectangle its invisible and my stroke and fill changes to no fill, no stroke, no matter which shape tool or frame I draw. now after I draw I can change stroke and fill but it will not stay when I draw another frame fill and stroke changes back to no fill no stroke tried deleting preferences same problem occurs. Thankful for any suggestions please. Thanks!

Message was edited by: nefrin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to nefrin

Are you using the Rectangle tool (without the X in it), or the Rectangle Frame tool (with the X)? The default stroke and fill settings only work with the shape tools (no X). The frame tools are hard-coded to no fill/no stroke   You add an object style called "Place Gun Frame" to your document that will give you a default stroke and fill for frames on placed images. see http://indesignsecrets.com/applying-an-object-style-when-placing-an-im age.php  Interestingly, you don't have to actually use this style when placing an image for it to be in effect, and unfortunately it does NOT work for frames you draw, only for frames created during a place operation.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 2:58 PM   in reply to nefrin

Lynn,  Please turn off or delete the autoquote when you reply by email.

But one step was to choose rectangle tool, click the default fill and stroke, draw rectangle. the side bar says, "The shape has a 1pt black stroke because you recalled the default fill and stroke values before creating the shape."

Did you really click the little default icon next to the fill and stroke proxies to reset? Was a frame selected at the time? Defaults only apply to new frames, or if you change something while a frame is selected youare affecting only the selected frame, not the defaults.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points