Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Changing Equations

Apr 28, 2013 10:47 AM

Running FrameMaker 11.0.1.382 under Windows 7 Service Pack 1. In FrameMaker 10, I could change various feature of a Equation using the Grapchis -> Object Properties Dialog box. This doesn't seem to work anymore. I cannot change the size nor the color of equations, when I have forgotten to change an equation before hand. Yes, I can create a new equation with the properties I like and then copy and paste and all is well with the world, but having a working Object Properties dialog box for Equations would be nice.

Can someone check to see if they can duplicate the behavior or is there a new way of doing that which I have always done. It is unfortunate, that it doesn't work because having objects styles for equations would be the cat's whiskers.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 2:48 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

Hi Mike,

I can create an Object Style for equations using the Object Designer and then apply that style after the fact. You only need to set items in the Fill and Equations options, The others should be reset to AsIs (a manual task for each set of properties: Stroke, Fill, RunAround, etc.).

Obj_Designer_Equations.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

HI Mike,

I seem to be getting different behaviours. It sounds like you're selecting the equation frame and not the equation itself. Here's what I've done.

1. I've created two styles for equations, where I set the Fill to be green and then blue. I then set the Equation Size to be Large and the other small to give be a "Big_green_equation" and a "Small_blue_equation".

2. I then insert a new medium sized equation using the defaults.

Default_MED_EQN.png

2. I select the equation (which is as before, placed inside the frame) and apply the "Small_blue_equation", which then shrinks the size of the equation and colours the text blue:

Small_blue_eqn.png

3. I then apply the "Big_green_equation" to the selected equation, and I then see larger text in green:

Big_green_eq.png

The paragraph autonumbering bug, is a known item. You need to detach the Paragraph Designer from the tools, on the side, and float it first. Then you should be able to change the autonumbers properly.Hopefully, this will be addressed shortly.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

Mike,

The equation "frame" has always been just an anchored frame. Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by selecting the "equation". I've always had to (ctrl-)click on the content within the AFrame to get the "equation" (as you can see by the handles in the screen captures I posted) and then apply any of the properties for colour fill and size. Perhaps you're thinking of the situation where the equations are shrinkwrapped?

Also, from the selected equation frame, you can right-click to get the context menu and then pick Select All in Frame to get the equation, without having to switch tools.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 6:03 PM   in reply to MichaelKazlow

Mike,

I see the behaviour now that you've described it. Yes it would be much more consistent if the Object Styles worked in the same manner as the paragraph, character, etc. [but that would have been expecting someone to think things all the way through and listen to the pre-release testers... ].

You should know the drill by now for submitting (and waiting through releases) wish list items : FrameMaker Bugs & Wish List

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points