Skip navigation
M.G.D
Currently Being Moderated

can I run premiere elements 11?

Apr 28, 2013 2:52 PM

Hi everyone, I haven't purchased the software yet but I'd really like to. What I want to know is if my laptop can handle it. I want to edit high definition video from a gopro hero 3 black camera. I own a gateway 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q9000. I'm not in front of my computer right now to tell you more but it's a gateway P-7808u FX running on Vista. Is that enough machine ya think?? Thanks a lot on advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to M.G.D

M.G.D.

First, be sure to check out the Premiere Elements system requirements.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html

If you are saying that you are running Windows Vista 32 bit or 64 bit, you want Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer operating system or Mac 64 bit operating system to run your Premiere Elements 11. That way Premiere Elements 11 will be a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system and can take advance of the 64 bit resources. If the program is run on Vista 64 bit, it will only a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of that 64 bit system and as such will have the limitation of 32 bit namely maximum supported installed RAM 4.0 GB of which typically 3.0 GB or less of that are available.

And, whatever route you take, please make sure to go the free 30 day Premiere Elements 11 tryout from Adobe before purchasing the software to avoid surprises and establish that the software is compatible with your computer environment as it exists now. Then make your decision accordingly regarding upgrading the computer operating system based on that and the type of projects that you plan to produce.

What are the camera settings that you intend to use for your video recording? How much free hard drive space does your computer have and is the Local Disk C supplemented my additional drives (external or internal)?

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to M.G.D

MGD,

I have been experimenting with the GoPro Black footage in 2.7K, and PrE 11. The Project has been fairly short, but I have not had any issues, other than that my older nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX is at the end of its driver's life span for my XP-Pro SP3 Windows. There are some display issues, but not any that really interfere with general editing.

My system is not that much different than your:

Intel Core2 Quad 2.66GHz

4GB RAM

XP-Pro SP3 (so 32-bit)

3x 250GB 7200RPM SATA II HDD's no partitions

nVidia GeForce 8800M GTX @ 512MB VRAM (latest driver, but 2012)

Static Page File 10MB located on E:\

Now, I run a lean machine, with few extra processes, programs of services. When editing, I turn OFF all anti-virus, all anti-malware, and all anti-anything. I have no Internet presence, and do not check e-mails, etc., when editing. However, I do often have After Effects, Photoshop, and maybe even Adobe Encore running, without issue. I defragment with great regularity.

With a 64-bit OS and at least 8GB RAM, with the 64-bit version of PrE 11, I anticipate that things will be even better.

I have my new ADK laptop with i7 3960X @ 3.33GHz CPU, 1x 512GB SSD for C:\, 2x 512GB SATA III HDD's, 32GB 1600 RAM and nVidia GeForce GTX 680M 4GB VRAM sitting in the box, but I have not had time to unpack and set it up. As I am leaving town for two weeks, it will not be until mid-May, before I can move the Project over to it, and test. I anticipate that it will run many circles around my older laptop, and expect that the 64-bit OS, plus 64-bit PrE will make a major difference.

Still, the older unit is holding up well, even with that 2.7K source material.

With only a single HDD, you will have a bottleneck there, as your OS, your program, your Page File and your media will all be on the same HDD, and reads/writes will be happening for all of those.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to M.G.D

M.G.D.

Keep optimistic. When I first got started several years ago, all I had at one time was Windows XP 32 bit, single core, 2 GB RAM installed. I had a daily task of keeping that a lean and mean system. It was amazing what I got accomplished with the old system. But, my projects were of a smaller scale. You are very far advanced from that state.

As soon as possible I would push the tryout on your current system to the limit to determine how far that situation will get you. And, then decide what next.

With regard to Premiere Elements 11 and Vista 64, Premiere Elements is going to be a 32 bit application not being able to take full advantage of all the resources of Vista 64. We have said that already. But, what should make a significant difference is getting yourself as much free hard drive space as possible and directing those Scratch Disks to a hard drive location with lots of free space. I have two USB 1 GB External Hard drives that I use for that purpose, plus video storage. (See Premiere Elements 11 workspace, Edit Menu, Preferences, Scratch Disks.) I have not gotten into partitioning of drives and SSD drives and am doing very well with SD, HD, including AVHCD and Blu-ray. But, then too I am working with Premiere Elements 11 in Windows 7 and 8 64 bit.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written. The goal is to communicate, and I will rewrite if necessary to do that.

Right now optimize the computer you have and take your projects to a progressively largee scale to define limits.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to M.G.D

MGD,

I agree with ATR, that optimizing one's computer for video editing will go a very long way to satisfaction, and is something all too often overlooked.

This article might offer some useful tips: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2910195#2910195

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points