Skip navigation
StaceeJaxx
Currently Being Moderated

Hardware requirements to view HD video renders???

Apr 28, 2013 4:03 PM

I am perplexed beyond understanding with this particular topic and am hoping that some of the hardware gurus on this forum (although I could easily have posted this on the Premiere forum as well) can help me.

I render an HD Video 1920 X 1080 in After Effects and the resulting project is nearly 2GB in size. Problem is I can't see buy the first two or three seconds before my hardware breaks down. The video continues to "play", but my screen is "stuck" on the last frame at two seconds.

I THOUGHT I had some pretty heavy duty software - MacPro, dual Xeon processors, 16GB RAM, but, NOPE, don't cut the mustard.

I know that Cray supercomputers have been discontinued, but I don't think I'd have the 25million dollars to buy one anyhow.

What, in heaven's name, do people use to view this type of video?

I just don't get it. Why render this video if nothing can see it?

CLEARLY I don't have the right output parameters set, but no matter how many times I try to understand setting them, they make no sense.

I'm going to render out a project and then put it into Premiere, so I don't want to compress a video and then compress it AGAIN when I render it out of Premiere.

What's a fellow to do?

Any CONCEPTUAL things that can help me understand how all this works?

Thanks,

John

OK - re-rendered at h264 rather than "Best Setting" and the video plays just fine. But same question...now that the video has been "compressed" it will be compressed again when I render out the final Premiere project???

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to StaceeJaxx

I'm assuming that your first renders are using the lossless or uncompressed preset. There are very few systems that will playback lossless video in real time because the data rate exceedes the maximum transfer rate from a hard drive. It's as simple as that. Lossless codecs are not designed for playback, they are designed to allow you to have a source file that is identical in every way to the original.

If you are rendering to h.264 you should be using the Adobe Media Encoder because AE cannot do multi pass rendering from AE's render modules. H.264 is a delivery codec designed to deliver up streaming video so it's data rate is well within the limits of most systems. That's why it plays back smoothly. That is what it was designed to do.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 6:17 PM   in reply to Rick Gerard

It is as Rick says. See this for more information:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/684381

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status