Skip navigation
house3272
Currently Being Moderated

Encore de-syncing Subtitles by changing the time cues

Apr 28, 2013 4:25 PM

Tags: #changing #settings #change #encore #sync #time #subtitles #timecode #subtitle #encore_cs6

I brought in a video using Premiere and Dynamic link, then the subtitles through Encore. The video and audio are synced correctly.

Now there's a spot around 02:03:20:00 where the last subtitle shows up.

The specific text from the original video, ripped mkv, along with audio and video confirmation from the converted mp4, and inside both Encore and Premiere, all agree that it should be 02:03:18:08 to 02:03:22:08.

However, in Encore, this changed to 02;03;25;20 - 02;03;29;20 (I did select 'absolute' though)

Upon exporting it just to check, Encore shot out a version confirming that all the subs were progressively lagging.


Also, why did encore change the notation to semicolons?


Thanks!

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 6:51 PM   in reply to house3272

    You don't say, but this is probably a PAL vs NTSC issue.

     

    From Joe Bowden in 2008: "NTSC subtitles must use the semi-colon ( ;) delimiter because it's drop-frame. PAL timecode is not drop-frame so it always uses the colon ( :) delimiter."

     

    Found his quote before the recent thread on this; couldn't resist quoted it here.

     

    So  your text file may be set wrong; or you have not adjusted it to account for the framerate; or both.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2013 12:34 AM   in reply to house3272

    What are your Encore project settings? (PAL or NTSC?)

     

    Your sample uses colons, so I assume it is for PAL. It makes me wonder if you also need to change the time codes.

     

    How were the time codes created?

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to house3272

    Used the latest version of Subtitle Edit.

    You created the wrong type of file. I don't know the options, so can't guide you entirely.  What are you subtitle edit settings in terms of PAl vs NTSC and frame rate.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to house3272

    I don't know that I have any solution; something just doesn't add up, and I'm trying to understand.

     

    But the sample you provide uses colons, which is incorrect for drop frame timecode.

     

    This suggests you created nondrop frame timecode for the subtitles, instead of dropframe.

     

    DVD for NTSC is dropframe. But I just did a test, and Encore appears to accept the colon type file, but places it after converting it as nondropframe.

     

    A feature request would be for Encore to warn you  that your are importing a script file that does not match the project setting.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to house3272

    My assumption, without checking it, is that it is converting correctly. Your numbers are the correct numbers for drop frame. The colons makes Encore see them as nondrop frame. It converts, but that means it converts from the (your) "correct" number to an incorrect number. If they were really nondrop frame numbers, they would not match your drop frame footage.

     

    Edit: if my assumptions are correct, you would replace the colons in your text file with semicolons - no change in numbers - and Encore would handle it correctly.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to house3272

    Word adds junk in the file. Use Notepad, or another pure text editor. I use notepad++ because it gives control over encoding, line endings etc.

     

    Notepad will work; use the drop down in the save screen to set to UTF-8.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 12:07 PM   in reply to house3272

    my subtiles has colons and semi colons as part of the displayed text, is there any program that will specifically target the ones in the tc?

    I didn't find one in a quick search. Certainly doable, but would need the equivalent of programming. Import into Excel, isolate the timecode columns, replace only within those columns while ignoring the lines with only text.

     

    If you don't find a tool like that, compare the time to create such with  recreating the subs in subtitle edit, or a replace  (in notepad) where you have to confirm every instance.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points