Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Stabilizing a video

Apr 28, 2013 3:26 PM

Many years ago I used Premiere Pro 1.5 very successfully. However, it doesn't work with the newer formats, or at least not with .mov that I now have. One very useful feature was SteadyMove under the Video Effects, worked wonders with wobbly hand-held clips. I have been given Elements 10, can't say that I'm thrilled about it, but is there any similar plug-in that will work with it? Thanks.

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 28, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to OldRhind

Hi, David. Premiere Elements has its own forum and it's best to ask video questions there, since few of us here in the PSE forum use PRE. I'll move this for you.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to OldRhind

In the $$$ Premier Pro CS6 package there is Warp Stabilizer.  It is reputeded and demonstrated to be awsome.  In Premier Elements 11 there is an "Effect" called "Stabilizer" that can be applied.  I am a big fan of PrE11 and all it can do, but I can't make it work very well.  There are aftermarket plug-ins you can Google for.  YouTube has one that has worked well for me if I want to leave the video on YouTube.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 28, 2013 8:31 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David

Is it that you are not thrilled about Premiere Elements 10 or you have found the Video Stabilizer in Premiere Elements 10 under Edit Header/Effects/Video Effects/Video Stabilizer/Stabilizer and are not thrilled with the Stabilizer's performance for your project?

There are lots of online articles on the Premiere Elements Video Stabilizer. I would try that first if you have not already before you go looking at online alternatives. There are classical alternatives we can go into if you rule out Premiere Elements for your purposes.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David

Thanks for the follow up. Please let us know if the Premiere Elements 10 Video Stabilizer does the job for you. If not, please mention how it did not work for you, and we can then think about what next if necessary.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to OldRhind

David

Rendering Premiere Elements (any version) Timeline content to which its Video Stabilizer Effect has been applied is, relatively speaking, a slow process as compared to use of many other Adobe Premiere Elements effects. In order to get the best possible preview of Video Stabilizer Effect you do need to render that Timeline content. It is a preview thing that is not required to continue. But, as a preview perk, it becomes needed if you want to catch a problem sooner than later. You know all that.

You might want to take a look at a Video Stabilizer thread at the muvipix web site

http://www.muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11865&p=101253&hili t=Mercalli+Video+Stabilizer#p101253

Interesting comments on alternatives to the Premiere Elements New Blue Video Stablilizer.

If you are looking to convert .mov to .avi, if you have not already, you might want to consider the free software MPEG Streamclip for this purpose.

We are looking forward to learning of your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David

Yours is an interesting question for which many have sought answers.

So looking forward to your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David

Do not be turned off by first impression of MPEG Streamclip. It is a great "free" program. I have used it many, many times with great success. And, it comes highly recommended by many. Here is the deal. It needs the MPEG2 playback component in order to function.

a. If you go the completely "free" route, you download and install the MPEG StreamClip + QuickTime Alternative 1.81 which comes with the MPEG2 Playback Component. The catch is that you have to uninstall the regular QuickTime latest version in order for the QuickTime Alternative 1.81 to install. And, yes, Premiere Elements will continue to work with this QuickTime Alternative 1.81 installed instead of the latest version of QuickTime.

b. If you want to keep your latest version of QuickTime, then you download just the MPEG StreamClip and buy the MPEG2 playback component from Apple (last look it was about $20 USA dollars).

If needed, I can work through the settings for the conversion to .mov to .avi if you supply information about frame sizes, frame rates and such. One of the perks of MPEG StreamClip is that it can address 4:3 and 16:9 video whereas some free programs such as Prism typically offer just 4:3 choice.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to OldRhind

OldRhind wrote:

........ Please say yes!

David

Yes!

I've not done it.  But, if I were I would right click on the video in the timeline and unlink the video and audio.  Then I would delete the video half, saving the audio half.

In Share and Publish, under Computer at the bottom of the list, are some audio export choices. 

My first step may not be necessary.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David,

Let us see if this helps

If you have your original .mov clip on the Timeline of Premiere Elements 10,

a. Share/Computer/Audio with Presets: for AAC High Quality, AIFF, MP3 High Quality, Windows Waveform. Settings adjustments are available under Advanced Button of preset. And, you do not have to separate the video/audio if linked on Timeline.

b.Share/Computer/QuickTime and the like, you can go under Advanced Button and in Export Settings dialog opt for Export Audio, removing the check mark next to Export Video.

If you ever want to get rid of audio or video at Timeline level...right click clip there, then select from pop up menu either Delete Audio or Delete Video.

Please let us know if that worked for you.

Also the following are the typical settings that I suggest for the conversion to DV AVI standard or widescreen, using MPEG Streamclip

For MPEG Streamclip

File Menu/Open Files

File Menu/Export to AVI

In the AVI/DivX Explorer Dialog:

Video Compressor: Apple DV/DVC PRO NTSC OR Apple DV PAL or Apple DVC PRO PAL, depending on your location.

Audio: Uncompressed

Frame Size 720 x 480 or 720 x 476, depending on NTSC or PAL location

Field Dominance: Lower Field First

ONLY if necessary, place a check mark next to Deinterlace Video

At the upper right of the dialog where it says Options, select either 4:3 or 16:9

Leave everything else as is for now.

Hit Make AVI.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David

Could you confirm if you are doing DV standard or widescreen capture firewire into Premiere Elements 10 from your miniDV camcorder?

What have you set as the project preset for Premiere Elements 10 for this capture?

More on that later. Sounds interesting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points