Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PDF printing text oddly?

Apr 29, 2013 2:47 AM

Tags: #error #pdf #printing

I'm sending a client an embedded font PDF that was created through InDesign - Print Booklet (and running the saved postscript file through Distiller) but when they print it their end, the text prints all odd (see right side)...

printerror.jpg

As they want a PDF of printers pairs, if I Export a PDF direct from InDesign and run it through imposeonline.com it prints fine their end.

So why is this happening only with those PDFs created through distiller?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to MoD_Andy

The preferred workflow is to export from InDesign. Why print to postscript?

In looks as if the left border of the page is missing. Many Adobe programs print dialog box does not have you access the System Print Dialog box. It looks as if the page size information is properly getting to from the Distiller instance to InDesign Printer. You should investigate if you wish to use the print to distiller workflow, you will need to access the Systterm Dialog box and change the settings so that the pdf file will git the page.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 7:29 PM   in reply to MoD_Andy

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to MoD_Andy

I think you may be best off trying the InDesign forum. BUT, if it prints fine for you, but not for them then the problem may be in the settings on their end. Not your end or your process of creating the pdf.

However, when I look at the image you uploaded again, I notice that (as you mentioned) text is missing from within the printed text, this could be a problem with your job option settings. What job option settings are you using in Distiller?

BTW, Personally, I like to use Quite Imposing from Quite.com. You may pay a fee, but it is one time. Good service, flexible software. There are two versions of the software depending upon your imposition needs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to MoD_Andy

Can you post the PDF for us to look at?

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 9:48 AM   in reply to MoD_Andy

I'm working with Andy offline. Once its resolved I will update the forum thread with the results.

~Sandeep V.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2013 5:25 PM   in reply to Sandeep V.

Sorry I did not get back. Let's see what Sandeep can come up with.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 2:42 PM   in reply to MoD_Andy

I am having the same issue. Using InDesign CC. Pdfs created using the Print function appear to be OK until they are printed. The printouts are missing text sections... particularly after bullet points or italics. Like you said, it's fine if I export the pdf from InDesign, but sometimes I need to create the pdf using the print function. Did you ever get any resolution on this? I think InDesign CC is very buggy.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 3:16 PM   in reply to MoD_Andy

I just noticed another similarity between our printing problems. The missing text begins at a bullet point and appears again when the letters connect (like ti or ft using the font Calibri). If there is no connecting text in a line beginning with a bullet point, the entire line doesn't print. Italicized words also disappear from my printouts. I guess using the print function in InDesign to create a pdf is not an option anymore. Using export seems to work ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to MUairline

While Adobe is trying to help, here is a suggestion. For the PDF that you say does not print, print it to a new PDF (I did not see any markup or bookmarks, so the print should work fine). See if that resolves the issue. May not be the cleanest approach, but may meet your current needs. We would all like to figure out the problem.

Did the other PDF that you created print fine for them? It was not clear if you printed it for them or they printed it. I suspect they have a driver issue. You might also ask them to print the PDF as an image (an option that is usually available in the print menu). If that process works, it is an indication of a driver issue. Sometimes, the fonts do not get sent to the printer and that may be why some characters are missing (note that there appears to be space for the missing character, just not the actual print).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 11:23 AM   in reply to Bill@VT

I just tried your suggestion but still got the missing areas of text. This happens on a number of different printers, so I don't think it is a driver issue. Calibri ligatures such as ti are definately a trigger.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points