Skip navigation
Bones 101
Currently Being Moderated

IND CS 6: Duplicating images makes them look lighter.

Apr 29, 2013 7:41 AM

I recently had to re-install my CS6 suite. Since then when I duplicate images on a legacy Indesign document it makes them lighter. Another member (ltz31) had the same problem http://forums.adobe.com/message/4634121#4634121 but the problem didn't appear to get solved.

Peter Spier suggested exporting to idml. to remove minor corruption which I did and the problem didn't carry over so where do I go from there?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to Bones 101

Are you using effects or any other form of Transparency effects anywhere on the page or on the pasteboard?

are they appearing lighter on output to print or pdf?

At the end of the day that's what matters - how they output - I know that doesn't solve the current problem.

The only other thing I could suggest is moving them to another layer, above or below what you have already and see if that helps?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to Bones 101

Bones 101 wrote:

Peter Spier suggested exporting to idml. to remove minor corruption which I did and the problem didn't carry over so where do I go from there?

What do you mean by "didn't carry over"?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,143 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 29, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Bones 101

When you select an image and choose Object>Image Color Settings do both images have the same profile assignments?

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,143 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 29, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to Bones 101

The document's color management policy probably has been changed—see Color Settings.

The policy determines how new documents will handle the embedded profiles of placed images. For CMYK a setting of Off or Preserve Numbers (Ignore Linked profiles) will assign the document's CMYK profile to all placed images instead of the image's embedded profile—the CMYK profile affects the preview.

If you have Ask When Opening checked it's possible to change the policy of an existing document. So you could start with a policy of Off and later change it to Preserve and get different results placing the same image.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,143 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 29, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to Bones 101

When I duplicate/copy the image it changes to: Profile: Use document default

So it maybe that the document was created with the RGB policy set to Off and it later got changed to Preserve. What's the document's RGB assignment (see Edit>Assign Profiles...)?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to Bones 101

Looks like the Document RGB profile is set to something other than Adobe RGB (And yes, you need to get your color management settings straightened out). Try assigning the Adobe RGB progile to the image directly in the Image Color Settings dialog there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,143 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 29, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to Bones 101

Docs RGB assignment: Discard

That means the RGB policy was probably set to Off when the document was created.

There isn't a good reason to set the RGB policy to Off in any of the CS apps because to print an RGB image there has to be a conversion into the printer's color space and to correctly do that there needs to be a source RGB profile. With Off you lose the source profile.

There isn't much reason to be switching your RGB editing space, so usually you should settle on one—AdobeRGB has a larger color gamut than sRGB and is generally a good choice—and use it in all of your CS apps.

I originally noticed that there was a problem when I opened an image in camera RAW and simply saved the image as a TIFF and reopened the image in Photoshop - again the image looked really light/desaturated.

The Camera RAW dialog gives you the option to choose the image's RGB space, so set it to AdobeRGB and the AdobeRGB profile gets embedded and preserved if your policy is set to Preserve.

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 1.28.11 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,143 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 29, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to Bones 101

I was unable to assign the Adobe RGB profile directly to the image... the box is greyed out.

You can assign it to the InDesign document and get the same effect.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,143 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 29, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to Bones 101

I was unable to assign the Adobe RGB profile directly to the image... the box is greyed out.

Or you can fix the document's policy. Close your document and Open Color Settings. Set your RGB Working Space to AdobeRGB, the Policy to Preserve, and check Ask When Opening.

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 1.49.47 PM.png

Open your document and you'll get this—click the Adjust... radio button and OK:

Screen shot 2013-04-29 at 1.54.51 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to Bones 101

You might want to use the settings you've just created across the suite. Press the Save button and save them with a name you'll recognize, then you can go to Bridge and choose them to synch.

|
    Mark as:
  • Rob Day
    3,143 posts
    Oct 16, 2007
    Apr 29, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to Bones 101

I'm also concerned that the Colour Settings are no longer syncronised across my Creative Suite applications.

Just click Save, save your settings, and choose the new setting in Bridge Edit>Creative Suite Color Settings.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points