Skip navigation
brutewolf
Currently Being Moderated

Finding Video Files on a drive filled with photos

Apr 29, 2013 10:29 AM

I've been given a 1.5TB hard drive with photos and videos from dozens of people. How can I generate a list of all the video files on the drive? I've tried creating a smart collection in Adobe Bridge, but don't see an option for "all" video files. (There's all types of files...it's a church project where people donated old footage from home.)

I'm using a Mac. I'm assuming there's an easy way to do it in Finder, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out. The "All my Files" icon mixes in files with my internal hard drive as well, and doesn't separate them out as "videos".

I'm somewhat familiar with Prelude, but I didn't want to dive in there if it won' tbe fruitful.

In short, I want to separate out all the video files on this drive. I don't care where...their own folder; their own smart collection; or directly in to Premiere Pro.

Ultimately, it will be used for a Premiere Pro project. Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to brutewolf

On a folder by folder basis you can use Sort by File Type in Bridge.  THe video will be lumped together.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 29, 2013 4:29 PM   in reply to Curt Y

On a folder by folder basis you can use Sort by File Type in Bridge.

In addition to that you might open a new window, set the preview quality to 'prefer embedded' (low quality but high speed) and select the main folder containing all your folders you want to search for. Then from menu view choose 'show items from subfolders and let it build for a while.

And since images normally have less different file types you might want to search for jpeg, tiff, PSd and PNG first. You can do so in the filter panel under file type.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 1:03 AM   in reply to brutewolf

Another approach in Bridge is using the Filter panel, which I use a lot. Like Omke said, you can have Bridge evaluate all nested folders at once by selecting a disk in Bridge and turning on View > Show Items from Subfolders. In the following screen shot you can see I located hundreds of video files in nested subfolders, and then I selected the video formats in the left column so that I only see the video files in the Content panel and can then work with them (drag them into predefined collections, apply keywords, move them, etc.).

Bridge-filter-for-video.jpg

As far as the Finder itself, the search criteria can actually be pretty effective. In the screen shot below, I have set the Kind criterion to Movie and it has picked up two different video file types. Also, it is set to search only the Lab disk, which is not my system volume. If the Kind criterion is missing a file type, you can add more Name criteria that look for specific filename extensions. Then you can save it all as a Saved Search so you can do it again in the future without having to build all the criteria from scratch.

Finder-filter-for-video.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points