Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Strange ctrl+alt+right-click behavior (layer selection few pixels off)

Apr 29, 2013 9:20 PM

Tags: #layer #selection #cs6 #pixels #selecting #hitbox

The issue:

When I ctrl+alt+right-click to select a layer, I can click the actual layer, or about 6 to 10 pixels below the layer. This latter option (the 10 pixel margin thing) is rather annoying when there's a layer below it, that happens to stick out 10 pixels underneath that layer.

It basically requires me to set the higher layer to invisible, and then rightclick again.

There's a slight difference between pixel layers and vector layers, as vector layers seem to have a bigger "hitbox" than pixel ones.

The most annoying instances are layers with, for example, a one pixel line. You pretty much have to *guess* where to click, as everything is so close to eachother.

I work in webdesign, and am working with pixel-perfect designs all the time, so this is something I deal with on a daily (read: every few minutes) basis.

My version of Photoshop

- CS6, update it frequently on my home PC & Work PC

It's worth mentioning that I didn't have this issue before CS6, and have been using PS for about a decade, +- 30 to 50 hours a week!

Before you claim it's the computer, the systems I've noticed this on:

- My home PC (16gb ram, couple SSD's for scratch disks, GTX670, core7 etc)

- My work PC (16gb ram, no scratch disks or fancy gfx card, core7 as well)

- Girlfriend's MacBook pro

- Her Mountain Lion running desktop (custom build, hackintosh)

+ several other PC's at work (programmers running wildly different systems and OSes)

We have several Adobe subscriptions; I have one, my girlfriend has one and at work we have about 3 or 4.

So, it's probably not the computers

I hope you can recreate the issue, or maybe this has already been mentioned by someone (I couldn't find it).

Cheers,

- Dirk

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 6:47 AM   in reply to Dirk van Boxtel

There's a slight difference between pixel layers and vector layers, as vector layers seem to have a bigger "hitbox" than pixel ones.

You have most recent CS6 update? I know early in CS6 verions Vector shapes had a huge hot area, 10 pixels out like you describe. Now it is down to just a couple of pixels. Pixel Layer auto select seems to be woring fine here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points