Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

on the fringes of this forum – two graphics questions

Apr 30, 2013 12:50 AM

… justified because this is the most knowledgeable forum I'm acquainted with, but also because both questions are related to graphics intended for use in FM :-}

• someone has sent me a system graphic in .565 format, the first one I've ever encountered. Any ideas on how to convert it into something more familiar like .png or .tiff?
  • patiently tidying up what feels like thousands of graphics I've inherited and need to re-use, I often find myself up to the elbows in Illustrator "area text" boxes. Does anyone know of an Illustrator equivalent for FM's esc,m,p?

Thanks in advance for any help on these marginal topics!

N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 2:29 AM   in reply to Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

Niels Grundtvig Nielsen wrote:

• patiently tidying up what feels like thousands of graphics I've inherited and need to re-use, I often find myself up to the elbows in Illustrator "area text" boxes. Does anyone know of an Illustrator equivalent for FM's esc,m,p?

I don't know of a shortcut, but you can do it as follows:

• Click Document Setup on the top bar
    • In the Document Setup dialog box, click Edit Artboard
    • Press Enter
    • Change the Preset: to Fit to Artwork Bounds
    • Click OK.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to bowen192

Bowen,

I am not sure that this is what Niels wants to do. Fitting the artboard to artwork bounds changes the artboard to the size of the area text box, IF the text box is the only artwork in the illustration.

I think Niels wants to create an area text box of arbitrary size, write the text, and then do something (shortcut) to shrink the text box to a size sufficient just to contain the text. To my knowledge, Illustrator has no shortcut to do that. I do it manually.

If I have it wrong, Niels, please clarify.

Van

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 8:02 AM   in reply to Niels Grundtvig Nielsen

Hi Niels,

I've never heard of the .565 format before. After some searching, it looks like it's a device-independent bitmap format (16-bits). Photoshop can save to a this format, so if you change the file-type to .BMP you might be able to open it PS and save it in another format. (See: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3195786)

Regarding Illustrator, there is no shrink-to-fit option. However, there is a script (that will do that) available. See this posting:

http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/4434/how-to-fit-text- box-size-to-text

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points