Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Split path and Join with another

Apr 30, 2013 1:15 AM

Tags: #fill #paths #path_selection #path_segments #fillpath

Hi All

I need some help here - I have a cycling jersey I am designing. Now I would like to do the following, but I do not know how:

From This:

IK_Cycling1.png

(I coloured the paths in PS - This is how they are separated)

to this:

IK_Cycling3.png

HERE is my vector file

Thank you!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 2:00 AM   in reply to DexterDave

Dave,

With Smart Guides on, you may:

1) Zoom way in  on the intended left side split/join and click at the very corner with the Scissors Tool;

2) Zoom way in  on the intended rightt side split/join and click at the very corner with the Scissors Tool;

3) Hide the lower path (you can find it in the Layer palette, you may need to Direct Select it);

4) With the Scissors Tool click at the end Anchor Point of the upper part of the split path (it extends past the lower path to join it with);

5) Deselect the upper path and with the Direct Selection Tool click the end points of both paths to join and Ctrl/Cmd+J;

6) Select the whole path in the Layers palette (click the circle to the right) and Ctrl/Cmd+J.

Do likewise for any other paths to join.

This works regardless of version.

You may hide other paths during this and show them again afterwards if needed/convenient.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to DexterDave

Dave,

thanks but I cannot get it to work...

Where in the process? I used the rule of playing it before saying it, so I have seen it happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 5:05 AM   in reply to DexterDave

Dave,

I was referring to the splits/corners of the white area behind the ik circle part shown in your second image in the OP.

You may split/join other paths in a similar way. Obviously, you may need to copy some (partial) paths if you want to use them as parts of different new paths.

OR you may try to use Live Paint with suitable settings.

That will create additional paths for the fills, more or less corresponding to the ones you can create as suggested.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 5:16 AM   in reply to DexterDave

You are welcome, Dave.

I hope you will share your findings.

Sometimes, some small detail is crucial so it may be worth going over the steps carefully and maybe reinterpret.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points