Skip navigation
amdmparody
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with Glass Flowers menu template

Apr 30, 2013 7:32 AM

Tags: #premiere #elements #buttons #menu #slideshow #dvd #problems #glass #flowers

I created DVD slideshow and video using Glass Flowers menu template and am having problems getting menu buttons to function in DVD player.  The buttons are fully functioning on computer.  I have tried multiple DVD players, none will allow me to use buttons.  I have created many DVDs in the past using Premiere Elements 8 using the menu templates provide and have had no problem using them on the same DVD players.  I have used different types of discs and  have also tried buring this to computer and using IMGBurn to burn it to disc.   Nothing is working....

I really like the Glass Flowers menu for the project I am currently working on and would like to keep this as my menu template, could someone help me try and get this functioning?  I am running out of time as I need this completed for an event that is approaching quickly.   Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

I have lots of versions of Premiere Elements on Windows.

This morning I will create some DVD-VIDEO on DVD, using the Glass Flowers DVD template and check out how my TV Remote control handles the navigation buttons.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using? If 11, then the Glass Flowers should now be included with the program. If earlier version, as I recall, Glass Flowers was a Photoshop.com plus Members Only type. I will also look at the version 11 and earlier Glass Flowers Template to assure that nothing has happened to the template going from Photoshop.com plus Members Only type to the free type.

I do not remember using this template previously in my projects, so it will be interesting to troubleshoot this.

To be continued...

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 8:20 AM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

Progress report. There is a problem with the highlight used in Glass Flowers DVD Template. The Premiere Elements 11 Windows DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that I just created using that menu

a. Computer-wise, using the CyberLink software that came with my Blu-ray/DVD burner, the highlight (that small box to left of Play All, etc.) was missing. But I could click with the mouse cursor on the text (such as Play All, Scene Selection, and Thumbnails of Scene Menu page) to navigate OK. But, when I viewed that DVD-VIDEO via the TV DVD player, the highlights were again missing, and it became a " Remote Enter/other - Hit or Miss" as to where I would navigate to beyond the main menu.

I need to check my troubleshooting files. I recall troubleshooting a Premiere Elements DVD Menu with that style type of button not so long ago. I will try to find that thread. In that case, my workaround was to suggest the use of another DVD Template OR to go into the .psd file of the problematic DVD Menu (Main Menu & Scene Menu) and replace the highlight layer there.

If it comes to modifying the .psd file of the DVD template, do you have Photoshop CS or higher, and are you with the details for doing that type of modification?

To be continued...

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to amdmparody

Since you burned the files to your hard drive before burning them to a disc with ImgBurn, what happens if you open the VIDEO_TS folder with VLC Player on your computer?

If it works, then you'll know the problem is with your media (disc) or your player rather than the software.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

It is well known that the VLC player does not play disc menu. In case the subject ever comes up, there is a problem getting VLC player to play "Movie" Blu-ray without some special considerations and procedures described online.

Unless SG can definitely say from first hand experience that he has successfully used (computer and TV playback) the Glass Flowers as well as the Fun in the Sun DVD Template as a DVD Template for his DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc project, then I will stand firm on the following,

Disc menu navigation is compromised (will not work or will not work properly) with the highlights as implimented for these menus by Adobe. After I took a look at the Glass Flowers menu, it triggered memory of a similar problem that I sought to troubleshoot with a Premiere Elements user using the Fun in the Sun DVD Template. The design looked extremely crowded with small font size. At first I thought that crowding of the shapes used for highlighting was the issue. THE LATTER WAS NOT SHOWN TO BE THE CASE WITH THE GLASS FLOWERS DVD Template when this was looked at this morning.

Inspection of the Layers Palette of the .psd file for one of these menus did not reveal any obvious flaw that would cause the problem. The only thing that resolved this issue was going into the .psd file for one of these menus and replacing the highlight layer. Alternatively, going to an entirely different menu was an option (more practical for some).

For Glass Flowers Main Menu,  this morning I went through the Layers Palette of the .psd deleting the involved existing  highlight layers and replacing each with a new highlight layer with a Flower 5 shape (same size as what was there originally and with color to coordinate with design). For the Scene Menu, essentially I did the same except more complicated because here the highlight was made to include frame + plus the shape next to the text. Not sure why designed that way, but....

When I troubleshooted the Fun in the Sun for a user a while back, that was essentially the same thing minus the unique highlight being used in Glass Flowers Main Menu Scene Menu. And, the answer there was replace the highlight layers or use another DVD Template. I have just found the link to that work at a forum which I no longer visit.

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75787

The details of that troubleshooting may prove interesting with regard to the Fun In the Sun DVD Template.

I have road tested the modified menus and both are now working well in all cases, involving playback of the DVD-VIDEO with a computer player that supports DVD Menu & DVD-VIDEO playback as well as with the DVD Player of the TV.

More detailed information on replacing the highlight layers will be supplied on request.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

What is your project preset for the project you intend to export to DVD-VIDEO and is this going to be DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen, NTSC or PAL?

You need to open the Layer Groups in the .psd for the menu to make the changes. Layer Group is Photoshop, not Photoshop Elements, feature. But it used to be that I could open those Layer Groups in Photoshop Elements 6 and later when Photoshop Elements was running on Windows XP 32 bit. I still can consistently, but, when I went to Photoshop Elements on Windows 7 and 8, I lost the perk, and on rare unexpected moments that perk would become availble and disappear. I still have XP so that is where my DVD menus are edited. Photoshop CS or later is a sure thing for this type of task.

If none of the suggested do it yourself works out, please let me know. I have another idea.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

Suggested feasibility study to find out if your Photoshop Elements 8 or 11 will open the Layer Groups in the .psd files for Glass Flowers DVD Template. Make sure that you are running your system with Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active. Just in case....

Local Disk C

Program Files

Adobe

Premiere Elements

DVD Templates

All_Lang

General

Glass Flowers

in the Glass Flowers Folder will be the assets for the Glass Flowers DVD Template. Open the Glass Flowers Folder and make copy for each of the following files (assuming that you are working from a NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard project):

glass flowers_s_mm.psd (that is the .psd file for the main menu)

and

glass flowers_s_sm.psd (that is the .psd file for the scene menu)

IMPORTANT. Those .psd files will not be there for you to copy unless you have first downloaded them from within Premiere Elements 11 Tools/Movie Menu.

Place the copies on the computer desktop and work from them. Right click the .psd of the main menu, select Open With, and then Photoshop Elements 11. When the .psd opens in Photoshop Elements 11, observe if you have:

a. just panels representing the major Layer Groups

or

b. panels representing the major Layer Groups that can be opened by clicking on the triangle to the left of the folder icon for a particular panel

Would you believe all that just worked in my Photoshop Elements 11 running on Windows 7 64 bit. Amazing. Not sure how long that perk will last.

If all that works for you, then I will go into the rest of the story.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

If you are doing NTSC DVD-VIDEO Widescreen, then go after the files (same location as mention) with the names:

glass flowers_w_mm.psd (that is the .psd file for the main menu)

and

glass flowers_w_sm.psd (that is the .psd file for the scene menu)

Again, work from the copies. We do not want to change the the originals. Folder/File changes for the copies can come later when we are on a solid path to the goal.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

Let us make sure that Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives option is active.

Windows 7

Start

Search Field above Start, type in Folder Options and then click on Folder Options at the top of the list.

In the Folder Options Dialog, open the View Tab and make sure that the Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives option is selected.

Then make sure that you have the correction selection of path on the Local Disk C.

At first you will see along with others

Program Files

Program Files (x86)

Program Data

You want Program Data.

Everything else in the above path should be correct.

Major Oops. I went back to check my directions in post #12 and its looks like I incorrectly wrote Program Files (there you can still find Premiere Elements 11 DVD Templates (not the ones we want now). In fact that is the location that I am recommending for the placement of the modified menus. But I do not want to get ahead of the story.

I will correct post #12 now.

Sorry for the misdirect. Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

Not to worry about different language.

Before we start the edits, we will go through the Layers Palette, Text Layers in Major Layer Sets and set the language that you want. I am assuming English.

The giant question is can you open the Major Layer Sets in Photoshop 11 on your Windows 7 computer?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

I have just finished modifying the widescreen version of the Glass Flowers .psd (main menu and scene menu). Navigation is working for everything (main menu/scene menu). The highlight that I used (flower shape with the same small size as original) could use some pop, but it works. If you send me a private message under the Adobe Your Stuff header, I will go into some alternatives.

Do not give up.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 9:57 AM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

Thanks for the follow up. I just responded to your latest Adobe private message to me. There seems to be a problem in that I received a private message from you but there is no message in the sending.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

Thanks. I have received the message content in your private messages.

Let us work through the details of those Glass Flowers DVD Template.psd files with the highlight as a shape for now. Replacing the highlight layer in the involved .psd does solve the problem. My replacement shape needs fine tuning (to put it nicely) but the edited menu does allow for excellent navigation via the TV Remote during playback of the DVD-VIDEO on the DVD player of the TV.

I am working on as version using text as the highlight instead of a shape. Using the text as a highlight might be easier and better appearing??

In this case, modifying the Scene Menu is a bit more complicated than doing that for the for the Main Menu. The reason that I am finding for this conclusion is that the Scenes highlight in the Scene Selection Page was designed to include two shapes, a small rectangular shape to the left of the name and also a frame.

More later.

Thanks for considering the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 4:31 PM   in reply to amdmparody

amdmparody

Just a quick follow up to say that I have tried using text highlight instead of a shape highlight in that Glass Flowers DVD Template and found the resulting modified main menu and scene menu to have a cleaner look in those crowded spaces in the Adobe design. I guess one could redesign the whole menu, but I did not attempt that this time...just did what was necessary with minimal change to get the Glass Flowers Menu responding to navigation commands (TV and/or computer).

I suspect for most going to an alternative menu is the most practical approach. Although I find these menus easy enough to manage, I must admit that one needs a lot of detailed how to information, patience, time, and attention to detail to edit or create these menus.

As I eluded to earlier, a while back I found the Fun in the Sun DVD Template to fall into the same "not working" category as this Glass Flowers one.

The editing and modifying of the menus in these tests were done with Photoshop Elements 11 which today was working on Windows 7 64 bit. I cannot always depend on it to open those menu .psd Layer Sets. Today it was working. Grateful for that.

More information on request.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points