Skip navigation
BobHabig32453
Currently Being Moderated

I want to create a DVD of JPEG images

Apr 30, 2013 7:10 AM

Tags: #photoshop_premier_elements_11

I want to create a DVD of JPEG images from multiple albums in my catalog.  I am using Windows 7 and Premier Elements 11.  I have not been able to insert more than one menu marker in my "video."  Any suggestions?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to BobHabig32453

BobHabig32453

I am not clear on

"I have not been able to insert more than one menu marker in my "video."" Further you say "JPEG images from multiple albums in my catalog" for Timeline content.

Are you working in the Expert view (Timeline) or Quick view (Filmstrip)?

You mention menu marker. What type of menu marker are you referring to: Main Menu Marker or Scene Marker or Stop Marker?

Are you actually placing the menu markers in Timeline (Expert view) positions before you go onto to "Movie Menu" or using the "automatically placed" marker after you have hit Movie Menu and selected you DVD Menu Template from the choices.

a. If you do the latter and photos are involved, you will get only one scene marker at the beginning of the series of photos.

b. If you do the latter and videos are involved, you will get a scene marker at the beginning of each of the video clips in a series of video clips on the Timeline.

This type of matter goes back to the much earlier versions, and it does not look like much has changed in this regard since then. Please check it out.

Also, reminder, number of menu markers on that Timeline is restricted to 25. Although you may be able to place more than 25 on the Timeline before you get to Movie Menu option, ONLY 25 will be available.

Please review and let us know if any of the above was helpful.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to BobHabig32453

BobHabig32453

What Premiere Elements 11 Disc Menu Template are you using for this project?

What is the function of the that lone Main Menu marker at the start of the Timeline? Until I know the rationale behind that I am not sure if I would encourage or discourage what you have envisioned for menu marker placement to your project advantage.

You cannot have two menu markers in the same spot on the Timeline. You need space between them. If you are intent on doing what you asked about, the only way that I see for doing something "almost" what you ask is to create a minimal space between that Main Menu Marker and the proposed first Scene Marker for Album 1.

If you placed a 3 frame gap after the placing of the Main Menu marker at the beginning of the Timeline, you should be able to place the Scene Marker that you want to place next. (When you hit the left arrow key, you get a 1 frame movement of the Timeline Indicator to the left, so 3 taps).

When dealing with menu markers appropriate spacing between the markers is essential for success of the project and its menu goals. That 3 gap space between the Main Menu and Scene Marker may allow for the placement of the Scene Marker at the Timeline level. But you will have to wait and see if it is a large enough gap to avoid menu problems later on in the project. If problems, widen the gap.

Let me mention now. You do not put a Stop Marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline. Has been known to create all sorts of problems, especially when you get to burn to. Not needed.

Please review and let us know the outcome and do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to BobHabig32453

BobHabig32453

Thanks for the follow up.

For now I just wanted to let you know that I saw your follow up and will be responding to it in full detail before the end of the day.

Coming soon. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to BobHabig32453

BobHabig32453

I seldom ran across a question to which I could offer an abridged answer. Sorry about that.

There is an assortment of miscellaneous information to guide your path as to what you can and cannot do with regard to a Premiere Elements DVD Template that represent the Main Menu and Scene Menu set. The number and kind of menu markers that you place on the Timeline are linked to the Menus - Main Menu or Scene Menu depending whether you have placed a Main Menu Marker or Scene Marker on the Timeline. Again, do not put a Stop Marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline.

1. Each movie (in your case album) cannot have its own Scene Selection page or pages. All the Timeline scene markers representation found on the Scene Selection page or pages is there in the order that each was placed on the Timeline. There is a limited amount of space under each scene thumbnail, and you do want to avoid button overlap.
    2. Each main menu and scene menu that came with the program is designed with a certain number of buttons per page (Main Menu page or Scene Selection page).  When the number of Timeline markers exceed the number of designed in buttons per page, the buttons spill over to additional pages (each a copy of the first).
    3. Most Main Menu pages come with Play All button, Scene Selection button, and some with Main Menu or Bonus Movie button. Most are text type buttons, fewer are thumbnail type buttons for this Main Menu. You see the thumbnail type buttons in the Scene Selection Page, and typically the maximum number there is about 6, may goes to 8 in some rare instances.
    4. Once you introduce Stop Markers to separate the multi movie type setup, your Play Movie (Play All) button on the Main Menu is meaningless.  And, the reminder, two menu markers cannot occupy the same spot on the Timeline.
    5. Important to the project are the pixel dimensions of the photos and the duration of the content. If you are heading for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc Standard or Widescreen, the pixel dimensions should not exceed 1000 x 750 pixel  (landscape) – classical recommendation here and elsewhere. Greater than that typically does not accomplish much other than stressing out the program.  The level of computer resources can often dictate whether the program stress will set in sooner or later. That 1000 x 750 which is not written in stone is close enough to the export standard and will leave some room for pans and zooms if needed. Look to the Premiere Elements burn dialog prior to burn to and look at the Quality Section’s values for Space Required and Bitrate. The DVD-R  4.7 GB/120 min is in reality 4.3 GB and the “for best results” classical recommendation is not to exceed 90 minutes for this type of disc. There is also the DVD double layer disc 8.5 GB (really 7.3 GB)/240 minutes to think about.

How does this all impact what you outlined for what you would like to do? Many thoughts on that, but for starters:

1. Are your photos sized properly for a NTSC or PAL DV Standard or Widescreen project? Are you heading for NTSC or PAL DVD-VIDEO Standard or Widescreen? Are you considering Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc in this regard for your Premiere Elements project.
    2. How many albums do you envision in each of your planned DVD discs. I suspect the number is going to be in excess of 6 or 8. Here some of the considerations might be:

…switch the names of the .psd files for the main and scene menu (just the names) so that you can take advantage of the larger number of scene buttons on an already designed Scene Menu. The Timeline markers are Main Menu Markers in this instance, no Scene Markers. Result: One page Main Menu with thumbnails there displaying the first photo in each album.

…editing the .psd file for a DVD Template to add more buttons to the design. That requires strict adherence to requirements for doing that, including editing with Photoshop CS and later or a version of Photoshop Elements that will open the Layer Groups of the .psd so that you can get at the Folders and Files that you need to modify/duplicate and the like.

If you wanted text buttons instead of thumbnail buttons, you could look at a DVD Menu such as Faux Widescreen Main Menu Page and customizing that.

Not sure if long trip descriptions (text) would be feasible. I can offer a how to for creating a page for information before the main menu (like those FBI notices) if you thought that might be appropriate for any overview trip descriptions per disk. Lots of details, Lots of choices, but often with limitations and special considerations if you are restricted to what comes as is with the program.

Please review the above and then we could fine tune with more specifics.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2013 9:12 PM   in reply to BobHabig32453

BobHaig32453

If you want to go with what is, the Adobe Family Memories Main Menu and Scene Menu set, then here is one way to approach what you want.

That Family Memories template scene menu has 5 scenes per page. Using scene marker on the Timeline for each of your 24 trays, you would expect 1 main menu page and 5 scene menu pages (page 1, 5 Trays; page 2, 5 Trays; page 3, 5 Trays; page 4, 5 Trays; page 5, 4 Trays)

The Timeline

Scene Marker at the start of the Timeline which starts with Tray 1, followed by your 60 images. Stop Marker placed at the end of the 60th image.

gap of at least 12 frames

Scene Marker at the start of Tray 2, followed by your 60 images. Stop Marker placed at the end of the 60th image.

gap of at least 12 frames

continue to

Scene Marker at the start of Tray 24, followed by your 60 images. No Stop Marker placed at the end of the 60th image.

In that type of a scenario, the Play All button of the Main Menu becomes meaningless. If the Play Button is used under these circumstances, selecting it will play back Tray 1 and then return to the Main Menu.

The Scene Selection button of the Main Menu will take you to the Scene Selection page with your Tray scenes distributed over 5 pages. You will note that when the number of Timeline markers exceeds the number of buttons per page as per the design, the rest spills over to additional pages which are copies of the first page. So, on page 2 (for example), you will be seeing Tray 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 unless you rename them to 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

You can also change the music in the audio section for DVD Template within the opened project.

There is a 25 Timeline menu marker limit for Premiere Elements. I need to double check to see if those Stop Markers are being counted in the total. If so, no can do.

Please review the above and let me know if I have targeted your question.

Thanks

ATR

Add On...I just did a run through with Timeline with 24 scene markers and 23 stop markers and apparently the stop markers are not being counted toward the restrictions of 25 Timeline menu markers. So the above plan should be a go.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to BobHabig32453
    BobHabig32453

1.   How do I “delete” the flute music track already there?
    2.   Where do I find classical piano music to replace the flute?

In answer to the first 2 questions,..

Apply your menu to the program via Tools/Movie Menu. In the applied menu interface, look to the right where it shows Adjustments which contains an Audio Section/Browse. Browse to the wanted audio file (preferably 30 sec duration) which has been saved to your computer hard drive.

Check out the Music Tab at the bottom right of the Expert view and its SmartSound feature which you scroll to at the bottom of the pop up menu. As SmartSound opens do not bother then to Update anything. The audio for those menus is restricted to 30 seconds duration (no way around that). In the SmartSound offerings the free ones that come with the program have a blue icon to the left of its file. Save your 30 second choice to the computer hard drive.

Always be alert to copyright when you are thinking about using files (photos and music) found online. Often even the ones labeled free come with some restrictions for use.

3.   Why do I need a gap of twelve frames?

Two markers cannot occupy the same spot on the Timeline, spacing between them needed. We look for the minimal spacing. Watch out for marker/button overlap. Twelve frames should be adequate, but check it out in case you need more.

4.  Could I put twelve copies of my word slide that has “Tray 2” , Tray 3”, etc… between the 60-slide trays as the twelve gap slides?

Not sure where you are going on this one, so I will put off an answer for now. Are your Tray images all on Video 1 with the 60 slides per Tray?

5.   How do I know exactly on the timeline where to place all of the markers?

Place the Timeline Indicator at the beginning of each clip that requires a scene marker and then click on Marker to left above Timeline, followed by Set Menu Marker/Scene Marker in dialog. Place the Timeline Indicator at the end of each clip that requires a stop marker and then click on Marker to left above Timeline, followed by Set Menu Marker/Stop Marker.

So, with Tray 1 - 60 slides starting from the beginning of the Timeline, place the Timeline Indicator at the beginning of the Timeline and then apply first scene marker. Hit the End Key of the computer auxiliary keyboard to the right of the computer main keyboard to get the Timeline Indicator to the end of slide 60. Apply the first stop marker. Then hit the right arrow key 12 times (1 frame per tap) to get a 12 second gap. Note that the Timeline Indicator is now at the end of the 12 second gap where you will be placing Tray 2 - 60 slides. Apply the second scene marker at the location of the Timeline Indicator. Press the End Key to get to the end of the 60th slide in this tray. And so on.

Please give the above a review and then let us know if you need further clarification. Please do not hesitate to ask if you do. I will rewrite if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR is doing a lot of work!  I do not mean to detract from his major effort.  However.....

IMHO, if you have taken the trouble of scanning normally beautiful and detailed Kodachrome slides, you have done a lot of work.  By the time you put them in a video format playable as a DVD, it will be, by definition, a Standard Definition file.  No matter how good the TV you play it on, if it comes from a DVD, it will be a long distance from sharp and clear.  It might be better if you put it on Blu-Ray disks, but that causes problems because not every one has a Blu-Ray player.

It seems to me that leaving them in the best original scanned format should be a goal.  There are Slide Show specific programs that would preserve the clarity of the scanned images.  I don't own one and have no experience so I can't send you to a specific software product.

Also, please note that Premier Elements limits the number of chapter markers.  I think it is 26, but memory fades.

For music, the choices that come with PrE are very limited.  A good alternative is to buy a track from the Vimeo.com music store.  There are many free tracks, but thousands for $2 each.  You will have a lot better luck getting the symphonic music you are looking for.

Good luck with your project.  I too have a thousand or so Kodak  slides I need to go through!

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 10:00 AM   in reply to BobHabig32453

BobHabig32453

I just now saw your post #10.

I will work on that as soon as possible and report back on what is essentially a Photoshop Elements 9 to 11 manuveur involving 2 computers.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to whsprague

whsprague

Good thoughts.

But just a commentary on:

You wrote:

"Also, please note that Premier Elements limits the number of chapter markers.  I think it is 26, but memory fades."

I am posting the following as a caution for all.

I addressed the menu count matter back in post #8 in this thread. An important point about all this is that the Premiere Elements 11 user can continue to add menu markers at least to 75 with no warning message or error popping ups from the program. In this case, the moment of truth comes when the users gets to Tools/Movie Menu and applies the menu and finds only 25 scene markers with the associated pages. I have found that this is a number of menu markers rather than a number of menu pages issue.

In contrast, Premiere Elements 10 (the prior version) would let the user apply the 26th marker and stated the 25 menu marker limit.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 10:27 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

A.T. Romano wrote:

An important point about all this is that the Premiere Elements 11 user can continue to add menu markers at least to 75 with no warning message or error popping ups from the program. In this case, the moment of truth comes when the users gets to Tools/Movie Menu and applies the menu and finds only 25 scene markers with the associated pages. I have found that this is a number of menu markers rather than a number of menu pages issue.

Exactly what happened to me on my first complex mix of video and stills for a family history documentary. 

I did some homework, it seems that perhaps the go to tool for slide shows that don't have any video might be "ProShow" from Photodex.  It has been mentioned in other threads as a favorite.  If you go to this topic, http://forums.adobe.com/message/5208244#5208244, you will see that the thread starter gave up on Premier Elements for a complex slide show.  In the next to the last post, he wrote about the success he had with ProShow.

Bill

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2013 1:39 PM   in reply to BobHabig32453

Bob

"Back in post #10 of this thread you asked:

1. Where are the albums stored on my hard drive?  I can see all of the photos there from when I input from my camera, but when I input the digitized slide files I first input them onto my hard disc from a disc provided by the scanning lab.  Then I took those files and input them into Elements 9 and put them into the albums called Tray 01, Tray 02, etc…

2. How can I transfer my Elements albums to a flash drive so they can be viewed on another computer?  Some of the photos I view in my albums have been edited and they have been repositioned within the album.  If I look at the files where I stored the input files on my hard drive, the order has not been changed, so I cannot just copy these files to a flash drive."

What Just Worked For Me in a Road Test (moving Elements Organizer 9 catalog (named My Catalog V9) used in Premiere Elements 9.0/9.0.1 on Windows 7 64 bit to Elements Organizer 11 used in Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit. My Catalog V9 and Albums and edited files survived the procedure.

1. Copy the Elements Organizer 9 involved catalog folder to your USB Flash Drive

The path to the file in an assumed Windows 7 or 8 64 bit computer is:

Local Disk C

Program Data

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Catalogs

and in the Catalogs Folder look for the name of the catalog that is involved (in my case "My Catalog V9")

2. Transfer the "My Catalog V9" Folder to the other computer with Premiere Elements 11 and place it in the Catalogs Folder there (assuming be same Windows path in 1st and 2nd computer).

3. Open Premiere Elements 11 to the Elements Organizer 11.

4. In the Elements Organizer 11, go to File Menu/Manager Catalogs. In the dialog that opens, look for your "My Catalog V9". You will not see it. Click the Convert button. In the dialog that opens, you should see "My Catalog V9" as one of the catalogs to convert.

5. From there continue, ending with opening the "My Catalog V9" as the current catalog in Element Organizer 11.

It worked perfectly for me. You have a lot of material involved, so I would suggest that you review the above carefully. Any doubt best get a second opinion from the people at the Photoshop Elements User to User Forum at Adobe.

Then you also asked:

3.       How do I get Premier Elements 11 to open on the Expert mode ready for project work?

The last question comes from my having set Premier Elements 11 to open at Elements 11 organizer and the only way I can now seem to get into Premier Elements is to right click on an image on the Elements organizer and go to the “Edit in Premier Elements” function.

I have found that whatever setting you used last in Premiere Elements 11 interface (Quick or Expert) will be the one that the open the next time you open the project.

If you are in the Premiere Elements and want to get to Elements Organizer then you click the Organizer Tab at the bottom of the interface.

If you are in the Elements Organizer and want to get to the Premiere Elements interface, do what is appropriate...

a. to close out of the Elements Organizer, File Menu/Exit

or

b. right click the image(s), select Edit in Premiere Elements.

Please review the above and let me know if you find major areas that need clarification.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points