Skip navigation
SecondEd
Currently Being Moderated

Wacom Cintiq, Adobe CS6, Windows 7, Pen Pressure Problem

Apr 30, 2013 11:53 AM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #issue #cs6 #pressure #pen #stylus #wacom #sensitivity #cintiq

Hey everyone,

I've been wrestling with this problem for a week now and I just can't seem to make any headway.  It appears to be a very 'classic' problem with Photoshop and Wacom Tablets, but I just can't seem to find a solution that helps me.  The problem I'm experiencing can best be summarized visually:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/318/f/d/cintiq_pressure_test_by_nosidda-d5kztxv.png

Soft strokes will be randomly interpreted as having FULL pen pressure (or no pen pressure, I'm not really sure).  It makes working on my art big headache.

I used CS5 and the Cintiq without this issue on my Macbook Pro.  I've heard the problem is due to an interaction between Windows and Photoshop, but the fact is that my tablet works fine in other applications (like Adobe Flash and Paint Tool SAI).

I'm sure if I scoured the forums I might find some threads to try but I'm just frustrated right now.  I attempted to resolve the issue using Adobe's phone support (who told me that Photoshop wasn't TESTED with tablets - you're kidding right?) and with Adobe's web chat support (who refused to help because I had a Mac version of Photoshop and wanted to discuss a PC-related issue).

Yes, the version of Photoshop I OWN is for Mac.  I've downloaded and am trying the lastest version of Photoshop (CS6) for the PC.  I am certainly not interested in purchasing this product if it has a major issue like this.

Look, I'm frustrated, and I just need to know either how to fix it, or a push in the right direction.

Thanks   

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 12:17 PM   in reply to SecondEd

This problem comes and goes with different wacom driver versions.

If you have the latest Wacom driver, try going back a version or two.

Photoshop is very much tested with tablets (most of our engineers and QE use them).

And Photoshop support should cover MacOS and Windows.

Do you have a case number for your phone or chat support?

We'd love to follow up with the folks giving out bad info...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to SecondEd

We'd need a case number, or a log from the chat to track down who gave you the bad info.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to SecondEd

The only idea left is to contact Wacom and work with them to figure out the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to SecondEd

Try changing the pen nib. This issue comes up over and over and it's really frustrating. I changed the nib on my pen yesterday and photoshop started working again.

Please report back if it works.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,922 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 16, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to cslynch

cslynch, this is an old thread.  We would hope he might have fixed it by now, but then again, we don't hold our breaths when it comes to Cintiq/Photoshop issues.

This is the OP's thread from the Wacom forums

http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/cintiq-pen-pressure-problem/9782 1?page=1

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 16, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor,

I don't mean to resurrect an old post for no reason. I simply found this post via google and wanted to append a possible solution for others who are searching. This worked for me last night. With that said, I just put my old nib back in to test and pressure sensitivity still works with it too. So it may have been a coincidence.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 2:28 PM   in reply to SecondEd

Hi, I've just installed Photoshop CC (for pc) recently and have also experienced the same problem. My Wacom tablet worked just fine in all other programes and ALL previous versions of Photoshop that I've used since version 2 over 20 years ago. I've found the Wacom tablet to be reliable at all times, but I have a strong hunch that this is a Photoshop problem with this version, having tried different drivers. I wouldn't want to take the chance of buying another expensive tablet only to find that may also have problems.

I agree it's EXTREMELY frustrating, let me know if you ever resolved the problem - thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2014 10:56 PM   in reply to inivision

Contact Wacom and work with them to figure out what is wrong with your tablet or tablet drivers.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2014 6:03 PM   in reply to SecondEd

I'VE GOT A FIX FOR YOU!!!!!!

Okay go into wacom settings/pen settings/ make sure you choose photoshop as the application and set the double click distance to "OFF". This will solve the size pop issue as well as the "connect the dot" issue. WOW can't believe I finally figured this out. This has been bugging me for some time. Yea, it's not a bug or glitch with either the software or hardware. It's just an annoying setting that you have to turn off!

Hope this made your life a little better!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points