Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I reorder photos by title?

Apr 30, 2013 11:12 AM

Tags: #photoshop_elements_9

I have collected 185 photos for my son's high school graduation.  Many of them I scanned from old photos, the rest are digital.  I painstakingly put them in chronological order and named them, scan1, scan2, scan3...etc.  When I imported them into PS 9 they were all out of order.  I saved them to an album so that I could re-order them, but I don't see "reorder by title" as an option.  Is there a solution?  I was hoping to create a slide show and photo book, but they need to be in chronological order.  The ones I scanned are all dated the same even if some were infant pics and some teenager - so that doesn't work. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 12:35 PM   in reply to anneangel0315

Hi,

Unfortunately there is not a "sort by filename" option when looking at albums.

When in "Album Order", you can drag and drop images to put them into the order you want.

Are all these images in the same folder?

If so, try the following.

1) if there are other unwanted images in the folder then tag all the wanted ones

2) switch display to "Folder Location" view [top right]

3) select the folder and the tag (if tagged in 1 above) - that should show you all the wanted images in filename order

Now to get them into an album

4) create a new Album

5) select all the images displayed in 3 above and drag them to the new album

6) now switch display mode back to "Thumbnail View" and select the album - the images should be in the right order

If any of the above is unclear, come back.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to anneangel0315

Hi,

If the folder only contains the images that you want then you don't need to tag them.

Switch to "Folder Location" view - you will see the Display option on the top right of the window

Now select the folder on the left and all the images should show on the right.

I would recommend saving the images in an album - the easiest way to do that is to click on "Create Instant Album" which should appear to the top right of the images.

Whenever I am setting up a slide show, I always create an album with the images in before passing them to the slideshow editor.

When you return to thumbnail view, selecting the album should show you the required images in the order you want.

You can edit the album details to change the name if you want to.

Hope that helps,

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 3:46 PM   in reply to anneangel0315

Hi,

In normal thumbnail view , PSE will show the images in date order. Are you changing to Folder Location view?

FolderView.jpg

and then selecting the folder?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 4:09 PM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Hi,

A thought has just crossed my mind.

When you renamed the images to get them in order did you zero fill the sequence number?

Did you use scan1, scan2 .... scan10

or  scan001, scan002 ....... scan010

If you used the first format, you will not get the names in the right order because it uses alphabetic order so you will get scan1, scan10, scan100, scan2 ......

If you used the second format, the folder view should give you the correct sequence.

For a slideshow, I would normally create an album and then add images, moving them around as necessary. I would never bother to rename the images - too much work that way.

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points