Skip navigation
Snowball5500
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 photoshop type tool maximally buggy

Apr 30, 2013 3:41 PM

Tags: #cs3 #bug #tool #type #cs6 #intuos #wacom #intuos3 #buggy

Greetings all,

I have a new system - Mini, with wacom Intuos3 (old wacom set up) - with up to date Font Suitcase (fusion? can't recall the exact name - i'm at home now!)

I have upgraded from CS3 to CS6, apparently a no-no. BECAUSE: when I open a CS3 file and work on it in CS6, save it, and then reopen it again later, the type layers are inoperable. Clicking in the type area to edit changes the type to something that was on the former CS3 file. For example, if I typed "BOY" in Univers in CS3, and in CS6, selected and retyped it as BOYHOOD in Times, clicking in the text area of BOYHOOD mysteriously brings back the old "BOY" type in Univers. If I unclick, sometimes it reverts to BOY and won't budge. Sometimes it will stay as BOYHOOD.

If I try to move text from one doc to another, it comes in as different words and style and size in the other doc. It's utterly impossible.

I have the updated Photshop in the last 10 days.

Elsewhere I've read that Wacom may be the issue. I updated that today too. No change.

Any clues to help me with this madness?

With thanks in advance,

Jenny

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

I really doubt that the tablet has anything to do with this type of behavior.

Not able to recreate the issue either.

Probably want to recreate the preferences for both versions of Photoshop and try again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 5:11 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

I suspect that you've saved the document with version 13.0 of Ps CS6 at some point. 13.0 has a notorious bug that corrupts documents and which can result in the contents of Type layers becoming jumbled. There's no known way to repair such a wrecked document. The good news is that 13.0.1 and newer do not have the bug. Check your version with command Photoshop > About Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

13.0.1 (which is about 8 months old) and newer will not cause further damage to Type in files. Already existing damage to a document caused by 13.0 (i.e. CS6 before you updated it to 13.0.1 or 13.0.4) can manifest at any time when using any version, though. Any PSD/PSB/TIFF that contains Type and has ever been saved by 13.0 is unsafe.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 7:57 PM   in reply to Snowball5500

We didnt' know about it before 13.0 went GM, and we fixed it at the first opportunity (13.0.1).

Rasterized type can't be buggy - it's just pixels.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 7:35 AM   in reply to Snowball5500

Jenny,

The type corruption bug was pretty infamous here in this forum (and others): Type Bugs Out and here.

Very difficult to reproduce step-by-step.

Here is Adobe's official help article: Text Randomly Changes

A program as huge as Photoshop will have bugs in any new release. Thankfully a data corruption bug like this is very uncommon, but it is always smart to check for updates. Did you disable your Adobe Updater?

When I select the area of type to be moved (w/ the marquee selection tool) and then try to place on a separate layer with command J, it's buggy to the max.

Can you post an example or  a screen grab showing your Layer Panel and the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Snowball5500

We put out a dot release many months ago that fixed the bug.  You were automatically notified of the update.

No, there are no such problems between CS3 and CS6.

Get the latest update, and you have fixes for the bugs we know about.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points