Skip navigation
WilburTheDog
Currently Being Moderated

Image links to the wrong image

Apr 30, 2013 5:11 PM

Tags: #image #link #indesign

I received an InDesign file off a client to set for print. It's 184 pages A5 Book, very text heavy with about 50-60 images. These images were linked to a directory which the client had packaged up and sent all of it to me.

When I first opened the file it said all the images were missing and they needed relinking. I done this, there were no errors. However it brings in a wrong image. Basically it brings in an image that has already been used somewhere else in the document. The proper image is not named the same, they are both in the same directory (it's been packaged) It changes the scale of this wrong image to what it should be, so doesn't make it too noticable. The first time the image is used is correctly, is a close up. The second time it repeats the image it is showing the full image scaled to fit the image box area.

screenshot-showing-wrong-images.jpg

Any ideas why it has done this ???

Cheers

Wilb

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to WilburTheDog

Maybe because is was placed in the wrong place in the original document? Can you just replace it with the correct one? Check your links panel and you'll probably see the same picture in both pages.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 12:18 AM   in reply to WilburTheDog

One possibility is operator error. Maybe you didn't do anything wrong, and this might be info you already know, but I'll lay it out for anyone looking in. Here's how it works correctly:

1. The designer places images called Apple.jpg, Orange.jpg and Bannana.jpg.
    2. The file is packaged and sent to the printer who opens it and finds all the images missing.
    3. The printer selects Apple.jpg, navigates to the images folder and selects Apple.jpg.
    4. The printer is told that other missing links are in the same folder and all are relinked.
    5. All is well.

Here's where operator error can mess it up:

1. The designer places images called Apple.jpg, Orange.jpg and Bannana.jpg.
    2. The file is packaged and sent to the printer who opens it and finds all the images missing.
    3. The printer selects Apple.jpg, navigates to the images folder and selects Bananna.jpg.
    4. The printer is told that other missing links are in the same folder and all are relinked.
    5. Now, there are two instances of Bananna.jpg and one of Orange.jpg, but no Apple.jpg.

Clearly there is an error, but it isn't InDesign's fault. Maybe it should warn you that you are linking to a file that has a different name, but I imagine some users would object to that extra step (because you will find a user somewhere that will object to anything that creates an extra step, even if it does them some good sometimes). I suppose it could be a preference you could toggle, so everyone could get what they want. Maybe it's worth a feature request.

I'm not saying that's what happened to you, by the way. It seems unlikely that InDesign would just pick a random image to relink instead of the one you want, but I suppose it's possible. Also, you can relink in two other ways. One is to take advantage of the fact that the first place ID looks for missing images is in the root level of the folder that the ID file is in, so just place the ID file in the images folder. The other way is to use Relink to Folder in the links manager. That way, you won't have to choose a link to relink beforehand and take the chance that you will pick the wrong one, as outlined in my second example. It just looks for any image with the same name as a missing image.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 4:44 AM   in reply to WilburTheDog

If the file was properly packaged by the client all of the links should point to the Links folder in the package, and there should not be ANY missing links when you open the file if your preferences are set to find links on opening. If there are missing links, it points to a problem in how the package was made, or in your workflow.  Have you tried the "Relink to Folder" command? Have you checked the image itself in the folder by opening in Photoshop to be sure it isn't named incorrectly? Have you tried relinking just that file and verified that the correct link is being used?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 4:50 AM   in reply to WilburTheDog

So, what you're saying is that you relink apple to apple, but bananna gets linked to apple also? Do you have apple and bananna selected when you relink? If so, either only select one image to relink using that method, or use the relink to folder option with nothing selected and see if that works.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points