Skip navigation
khauscreative
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign, repeat image to create pattern

Apr 30, 2013 7:25 PM

Is there a way to tile an image in Indesign, like you can in Photoshop/patterns to Illustrator/patterns? I don't want to create an image, I want to import an image and how it repeat.

Why? To keep file sizes down and to speed up work.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to khauscreative

Illustrator is the place to do patterns. The new Pattern creation feature in Illustrator CS6 is totally easy and intuitive.

InDesign has nothing similar natively. There is a pattern maker plug-in from Teacup Software:

PatternMaker - Powerful PostScript patterns ... - Teacup Software.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 5:19 AM   in reply to khauscreative

You can use step and repeat to create a grid of images....    It won't reduce the file size, though. Each instance will be a link (presuming you placed the original rather than pasting it), so you'll have a few bytes in pointer info for each one, but it isn't going to bloat the file any more than placing many different links. If it's a problem, make your pattern externally and link to that as a single image. In anay case, I don't think it will have any effect at all on the size of a PDF that you would export.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 12:12 PM   in reply to khauscreative

As it happens, Kelly Vaughn (also known as Her Royal Geekness) posted a blog post on Patterns In InDesign just the other day: http://documentgeek.blogspot.nl/2013/04/ignite-2013-making-patterns-in -indesign.html

While it may not be exactly what you are looking for, it does give you a good overview of what *is* possible using InDesign.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points