Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with yellow blotches

Apr 30, 2013 10:30 PM

I have been working all afternoon with some photos my wife took of our daughter and granddaughter together.  Am very happy with the final result which has entailed me taking my daughter's

head and transposing it to another photo where our granddaughter, Alex, is very good (using Photomerge in any way was no good, so took the longer route).

Perhaps because my wife took them on a point and shoot there is one fundamental problem.  There are yellow patches on our daughter's skin.  They are not the result of temperature (not a colour caste)

Though I did try fixing in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) with temperature and tint.   I have tried adjustment layers of many types.  Tried levels adjustment layers, working through each colour, red, blue,

green, but nothing seems to work.

Perhaps they are just large artifacts, and I just have to clone  - however whilst this would be relatively easy (if time consuming), then my understanding would not progress.

What can I do please ?? 

Kind regards

Jim

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,820 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    May 1, 2013 12:56 AM   in reply to Jim Air

Try clicking around the photo with the color picker after going to:

Enhance >> Adjust Color >> Adjust Color For Skin Tone

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 4:27 AM   in reply to Jim Air

Here's another approach that might work:

face1.jpg

To remove the yellow tint on the right side I added a blank layer (Layer 1) and set its Blend Mode to Color. Used the Color Picker to select a portion on the left side, and painted over the yellow.

Lowered the layer's Opacity until the 2 sides matched.

The trick is in the initial Color Picker selection. You may have to try several different areas.

This method didn't work well for the dark area next to her eye so I added another layer (Layer 2) and used the Clone tool.

face2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 6:31 AM   in reply to Jim Air

If you are so inclined, please post the picture so that we may suggest targeted guidance.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,820 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    May 1, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to Jim Air

Hi Jim

Here is one option.

I used File >> Open As and chose Camera Raw

Then used the color and luminance sliders to reduce noise

Then clicked the open image button to send into the regular editor

Added an adjustment layer (hue/saturation)

Selected yellow channel and added lightness (although it also affects the background)

IMG_2947++Alex+cuddles+Trina,+on+an+angle_edited-1.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 3:33 PM   in reply to 99jon

Good job, 99jon !

Actually I think the lighter background looks better than the original but to leave it unchanged just paint the adjustment layer mask with black.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to Jim Air

Using the method I described in msg#3:

- With the Color Picker selected a light portion of the child's forehead.

- Added a Solid Color adjustment layer filled with this color and set the layer's Blend Mode to Color. This eliminated the yellow but also changed the entire picture.

- Filled the adjustment layer mask with black to restore the original.

- Set the Foreground/Background colors to their default white/black values.

- With the Brush tool painted over the yellow portions with white to reveal the new skin tone, taking care to avoid lips, eyes, hair, etc. If you make a mistake, paint with black to restore the original. Tip: type "X" to toggle between black & white.

- If the skin looks too dark or light, you can double-click the adjustment layer to select a new color. If too dark you can also try lowering  the layer's Opacity.

- To elimimate the yellow hair I added a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, selected Yellow from the pull-down list, and lowered the Saturation.

- Made a Levels adjustment to the original layer to lighten the whole thing.

yellow skin.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points