Skip navigation
piixy
Currently Being Moderated

would a photo with 70MB in pixel dimensions but low resolution print clearly?

Apr 30, 2013 8:36 PM

Hi there,

Here is a snapshot of the image size window:

Is it true that if pixel dimension is very large in size than the resolution number under document size doesn't matter ?

I really woudl appreciate your help in telling me if my photo will print clearely choosing the belwo document size.

Many thanks!

Screen Shot 2013-04-30 at 20.33.37.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 9:06 PM   in reply to piixy

Do you really want to print a huge panomaroma that is three and a half meters wide? 

What are the dimensions of the original image file as captured, before you upsampled it?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:07 PM   in reply to piixy

Most definately. Uncheck the resample image and type in 300 for the resolution and you will see how large of an image you can print at that pixel quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:07 PM   in reply to piixy

If so, that print will be cr@p.  :-(

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:38 PM   in reply to piixy

It will be disapponting, for sure.

Upsample a copy of it to 300 ppi and then crop a smallish, say 10 cm by 10 cm, portion of the upsampled panorama and print that on paper to see what it looks like. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 9:59 PM   in reply to piixy

piixy wrote:

Hi there,

Here is a snapshot of the image size window:

Is it true that if pixel dimension is very large in size than the resolution number under document size doesn't matter ?

Oh, it matters, it matters a great deal. What kind of print? Inkjet? For optimal (meaning it doesn't look like crap) output, you'll need a minimum og 180 PPI and ideally upwards of 300PPI+

What you have is simply not enough resolution for the output size you are asking about. You can try upsampling, but that's really not gonna give you good results. I think you need to lower your expectations of the output size...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2013 10:18 PM   in reply to piixy

You need enough resolution to output at your desired print size and have at least 180PPI to have any hope of reasonble quality...

|
    Mark as:
  • InnQuDotCom
    2 posts
    Mar 16, 2013
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 10:44 PM   in reply to piixy

This is the easiest way for you to get an acurate idea of what your image will look like printed...

1) Create a new document the size it will be printed and set the resolution to 300dpi (pixels/inch). (Due to the size you are going for I suggest using RGB instead of CMYK)

2) Open the file you created and (using the 'Move' tool) drag it onto the newly created document.

3) Zoom in to 100% and what you see is what you get when printed.

The distance the print will be viewed from is important however, for example, if it's a billboard the viewer is pretty far so the quality is pretty forgiving and a resolution of 200dpi should work.

Feel free to hit me up and send me one of the pictures and I will give you an acurate judgement on how they will look printed at that size.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points