Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge crashes when applying metadata

Apr 30, 2013 9:03 PM

Tags: #problem #crash #keywords #metadata #bridge_cs6

I'm seeking guidance, but let me preface this post with some information:

• CS6 via Creative Cloud
  • All applications up to date via Adobe Application Manager
  • All Windows Updates applied including drivers.
  • Currently running Bridge 5.0.2.4
  • Computer is:
    • Win 7 Pro (64 bit)
    • Core i5
    • 12 Gb RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce 310

I have used CS6 for months prior to this issue starting without incident.

I have tried moving the data to different drives.

I have checked/cleared/reset file permissions.

I have run drive error checks.

I have uninstalled/CC cleaner/reisntalled all Adobe products multiple times.

I have run Bridge in 32-bit and 64-bit modes.

I have tried to reset preferences and other "Ctrl" startup options.

I have tried to reset preferences and other "Ctrl" startup options after selecing "Run As Administrator".

I manually deleted the ".BridgeCache" and ".BridgeCacheT" files from the folder of photos.

Prior to this crashing problem I had already sorted and begun to apply ratings to files (Reject and Start ratings) in this folder without incident.  I even applied metadata (Keywords) to a portion of the 1,321 photos in a folder without incident.  The problem started when I came back the next day and started up work again.  There had been no updates or restarts to the computer.  The only thing that I think updated was Adobe Acrobat, but I cannot be sure.  When I opened Bridge and began to apply Keywords to files the program simply locked up and immediately crashed.  The Windows dialog box did not have any information or options for a crash report.

This is a normal workfolw that I utilize on a regular (weekly/monthly) basis and why the crashing is happening is beyond me.  I have attempted to troubleshoot many different ways.  Of particular note I when to a different folder of photos that had never been worked on before with Bridge and was able to apply the same workflow without incident.

Here is an excerpt from the Windows Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: Bridge.exe, version: 5.0.2.4, time stamp: 0x50d9a019

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e

Exception code: 0xc0000374

Fault offset: 0x00000000000c40f2

Faulting process id: 0x12d0

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce461c31a0ba90

Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Bridge CS6 (64 Bit)\Bridge.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: 60e3cf2b-b210-11e2-834c-f04da2db0ae0

At this time I cannot difinitively confirm that the files themselves are causing the issue but I will attempt some additional troubleshooting.  At this point I'm not overly impatient because I've already lost the revenue opportunity for selling these photos to customers because the error first started several days ago (4/28/2013 09:31:35 PM was first crash).  However, at this point I am will not entertain the wasting of time by uninstalling all Adobe products, running CC cleaner, and re-installing the products I use.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try for resolution or troubleshooting? 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to rodneymyrup

Are you using Nikon software to download or copy image files?  It is known to corrupt images.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 1, 2013 1:36 AM   in reply to rodneymyrup

I'm seeking guidance, but let me preface this post with some information:

What I'm missing from this list is purging cache, like: using menu tools/cache/purge cache for folder or select the files and with right mouse click use purge cache fro selection, while resetting prefs also purge central cache or even delete the cache file manually

Also double check using the latest version for Camera Raw.

And as Station Two already pointed out, check out the way of importing files because it seems related with your Nikon D7000 files

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to rodneymyrup

The files that crash when adding metadata do they show a normal thumbnail?

Also, check the date stamp on the D7000.  If trying to add metadata to a picture with time that has not yet arrived it will fail.

Assume by "reset preferences" you used the Ctrl key and got the reset window with 3 options.

Not likely a graphics card problem, but just to check go into advanced preferances and check "use software rendering".

If camera D7100 you need ACR 7.3 or more.

Current Bridge version is 5.0.2.4

THe old Nikon View NX caused problems with metadata and Bridge.  That was fixed with NX2.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to rodneymyrup

This seems identical to my (unresolved) issue:

Re: Bridge CS6 crashes when I apply metadata

As well as this one:

Re: Bridge Crashes On Every Metadata Updates - Updating Any Tag Or Metadata - CS6

Just like rodneymyrup, the photos that are crashing Bridge for me were also taken with a Nikon D7000. However, less than 5% of the photos taken with this camera have this problem.

Are these issues all caused by the Nikon D7000? If so, what is the solution/workaround? Why are only some images crashing Bridge when others taken with the same camera are fine? Editing these particular photos still crashes Bridge every single time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to rmunde8433494204

I was also having this problem this morning - drove me to near madness; Bridge crashes consistently when applying meta data on JPEGs from my Nikon D7000 produced by the camera in RAW+JPEG mode.

The issue is extremely repeatable:

The problem does not occur with RAW files

The problem does not occur with other JPEGs

The problem was definitely file specific.  I did some investigation and I discovered one of the problem files had a modified date that occured prior to creation date when those properties were viewed in Windows explorer.  When viewing the same creation/modified date within Bridge - the dates were exactly the same .

I don't know which was responsible for the date corruption - Windows, Bridge, or the camera itself.  Pictures were transferred via copy/paste in windows from the SD Card - so who knows.  I'm going to play with it more and see if I can figure out why.

The simple fix was to modify the file in WINDOWS (not Bridge) by, say, changing the star rating or something equally harmless.  This will reset the modified date and you will find it will then edit just fine in Bridge.

I'm not an Adobe engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

The crash I was receiving dumped this out for reference:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: Bridge.exe

Application Version: 5.0.2.4

Application Timestamp: 50d9a019

Fault Module Name: StackHash_c539

Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17725

Fault Module Timestamp: 4ec4aa8e

Exception Code: c0000374

Exception Offset: 00000000000c40f2

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: c539

Additional Information 2: c5391c07557cfdd979870b9282c32f6d

Additional Information 3: d0d5

Additional Information 4: d0d5d00d7fa12b102b725af9e91f796b

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2013 3:40 PM   in reply to NoAdobeCloudPlease

NoAdobeCloudPlease wrote:

…I'm not an Adobe engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night…

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to NoAdobeCloudPlease

You have a StackHash error.  Do a web search for this.  Here is basic info on error from web.   Has to be fixed in the OS.

The StackHash error occurs any time DEP is invoked and has an issue with whatever application you're trying to run (and there are several hundred out there that seem to give it fits).

The error is related to Data Execution Prevention.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 9:27 AM   in reply to rodneymyrup

I was having almost the same issues except my camera is the Nikon 5100.  These files were copied from the SD card by Windows Explorer, not imported via Nikon program.  I spent several rounds with Adobe support - they had no idea what the problem was.  After reading this thread I tried to update the metadata on some non-Nikon photos - no crash!  Also made a rating update on the Nikon files (over 350 files) from Windows Explorer. During apply the rating changes via WIndows I received an error message that several of my files had an "invalid file handler".  Opened Bridge and was able to keyword update over 350 files without crash!

My files were all jpg from Nikon 5100. 

I'm wondering if it could be the SD card?  Mine was a cheap brand and I wonder if the invalid handler could be the issue.  But also suspious that others had issue with the Nikon DSLR - mine the Nikon 5100 in this case. 

Appreciate everyone who posted there investigation.  It has helped me! 

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to JerryPenna13

Have you used the Nikon View NX program?  Caused errors in metadata when file used in Bridge.  Problem was fixed in NX2.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Curt Y

No - I've not used the Nikon program.  I've only been copying the photos from the SD card to the computer. 

I'd prefer to import via bridge if that will solve the problem. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to JerryPenna13

Are you importing with a SD card reader? 

Are you getting the StackHash error or some other error?

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to Curt Y

@Curt  You are attempting to eliminate the symptom, not the disease.   There is no sense to messing with DEP settings.

The disease is the creation date for the file occuring after the modified date.  I just did some testing - the file dates are correct (matched) on the SD card until I copy to disk.  Apparently the copy function will reset the creation date when manually copying files from the SD Card to disk.  Every time.  I'm pretty sure Microsoft will see this to be "as designed."  Even though I would think if the creation date is changed because it's a new copy (which makes sense), the modified date should also.

The fact that Bridge crashes on these files is poor behavior on the part of Adobe and a legitimate bug.  Especially considering the OS doesn't seem to care about it and considers it normal.

The workaround solution is either to use the import function or manually change the modified date on the files prior to tagging in Bridge.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to NoAdobeCloudPlease

It discussing dates you have to be precise.  Bridge has Date Created (set by camera or scanner), Date File Created, and Date File Modified.  Make sure the program is reading the correct date as not all list the 3.  The Date Created can not be changed without extra effort.  You are correct the the Date File Created will be changed when you copy it to Bridge or change its name.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    May 31, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to JerryPenna13

I'm wondering if it could be the SD card?  Mine was a cheap brand and I wonder if the invalid handler could be the issue.

No experience with all of this, use a Mac, Canon and a CF card that I place in a Card reader and use import via Adobe Photodownloader.

But here is my question, what do you do you with the SD card when your files are copied to the system?

My workflow is to import the files (including convert to DNG and back up original Raw to second disk, renaming and copyright template)

But when I have checked my files are OK on the system and I need the CF card for a new job I always put the card back in the camera and use the camera menu itself to format the card.

I long ago stopped using the delete all function because this used to build up certain data files and that is not the case when you use format.

I do so every time and while I have used a lot of CF cards (from 128 MB in 2001 to current 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro UDMA 7) The only problems I had was losing them.

Never managed to break one down (not even in the washing machine…) and from about 2003 I always have used the format method for every time I needed to remove the files from the card.

I don't know much about the difference between inferior manufactures and the superior brands, I find it hard to believe that this would cause your problem alone (If you did not format I would try that first).

Having said that I would never choose to use other then top quality cards like Lexar and Sandisk and also the fastest or the nearly fastest.

If you have a cheap compact camera (but then you probably would not visit this forum…) I can image (but do not approve) you include a cheap SD card also. But spending up to 1000 dollar or much more for a nice dSLR and save money on a cheap card instead of using a trustful medium to write your precious files on is not the best workflow.

CF cards and SD card are very cheap nowadays.

To compare, the 128 MB in 2001 was about 600 dollar, the super fast and reliable Sandisk Extreme Pro 32 GB was around 200 dollars.

You can do the math yourself but on my calculator this means three times as cheap while 256 times more space…

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to Curt Y

It's not creation date in the EXIF camera data (for which Windows maps to Date Taken), it's Date Created in the OS file system.

|
    Mark as:
    May 31, 2013 5:52 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

I'm wondering if it could be the SD card?  Mine was a cheap brand and I wonder if the invalid handler could be the issue.

No experience with all of this, use a Mac, Canon and a CF card that I place in a Card reader and use import via Adobe Photodownloader.

It's not the SD Card.  It's a file system issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2013 12:43 PM   in reply to NoAdobeCloudPlease

I found very stupid solution :-)

You can use Image procesor (from Tools -> Photoshop) to change jpeg images into tiff

Then use the same tool to save as jpg (quality 12).

And it work well.

I do some test and on nikon d7000 jpeg files i have the same problem with metadata. Because of data/time issue in exif data.

No problems with nef/raw files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 12:08 PM   in reply to PiotrDebowski

Piotr,

I am sure you realize that format shifting your files will cause them to irreversibly lose quality as JPEG is lossy compression.  That's probably a bad idea (not to mention a lot of work).

Quickest way is to just add a metadata tag on all the files from within the OS - whether it be a rating, keyword, whatever.  That method will change all the O/S modified dates to avoid the bug, and most importantly, will not alter your actual images.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 12:15 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Omke Oudeman wrote:

… from about 2003 I always have used the format method for every time I needed to remove the files from the card…

I wouldn't contemplate doing it in any other way.  Letting the computer software write to the card is a very bad idea.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points