Skip navigation
NANCYANNEHOFFMAN
Currently Being Moderated

What does this message mean? : "The file name "DSC_0088.jpg" is offline or missing." ?

Apr 30, 2013 10:33 PM

What does this message mean? : "The file name "DSC_0088.jpg" is offline or missing."   I am in the process of importing photos from iPhoto (don't really know what I'm doing....) and when I look at one of the imported photos that message pops up.  I know what "DSC_0088.jpg" is.  I don't know what it means that the file is "missing".

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 12:27 AM   in reply to NANCYANNEHOFFMAN

When you import photos into the catalog of Lightroom, the program takes note of where the photos are stored. The message that a photo is missing means that Lightroom has lost track of that photo, i.e. it is no longer in the location where LR thought it was.

This typically happens if you move or delete photos outside of Lightroom. Another possibility is that the photos are stored on an external harddisc which is no longer connected.If the latter is the case, this can be solved simply by reconnecting the external drive.

Could you provide some more details on how you are going about things so that we can help more specifically?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to NANCYANNEHOFFMAN

While I can't answer questions about iPhoto (I'm sure someone else can), if you want your Lightroom photos to be stored on the external hard drive(s), you can move them there yourself before you import them into Lightroom (using "Add"), or equivalently, import them into Lightroom using "Move" and set the destination to your external HD. I think moving them yourself and importing using "Add" is much easier and more foolproof.

There's no reason you can't take your new photos that you just took on your trip, and put them on one of the external hard drives right now and import them into Lightroom using "Add".

A couple of important notes: Lightroom only contains pointers to your photos, not the photos themselves. Thus, after you import a photo(s) into Lightroom, you should no longer manage these imported photos (move, delete or rename them or the folders that contain them) using your operating system. Only manage these photos using Lightroom. (The photos that have NOT been imported into Lightroom can be managed via your operating system).

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 4:24 AM   in reply to NANCYANNEHOFFMAN

Very sound advice by dj_paige.
    Maybe in addition to his notes about how Lightroom manages things: as you learned from one of the tutorials, photos imported into Lightroom are not imported into the program or the catalog. The catalog is 'merely' the directory of where those photos reside that have been imported. This is why LR loses track of the photos if you move/delete them outside of LR.

When importing, you can do several things, as you noted:
    - simply 'add' them: in this case, you're simply telling LR to leave the photos where they are and add that information to the catalog
    - 'copy': leave the original file where it is, make a copy of it, put it in the location you specify in the import dialog and store that information in the catalog
    - 'move': move the photos from where they are to where you specify in the import dialog and store that information in the catalog

I can't tell you about iPhoto as I have no experience with this program. However, it should be fairly easy to find out whether your edits, keywords and description make the transition to LR by importing a few photos as a test (using 'add' for this test) and check whether you see the keywords etc. in LR.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points