Skip navigation
stuck-fast
Currently Being Moderated

Keywords in Lightroom

May 1, 2013 1:05 AM

Is there a feature in Lightroom where you can have the keywords in a hierarchy ticked automatically when the lowest level is ticked?  There is a feature in Bridge wkere you can change the default to let this happen.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 1:33 AM   in reply to stuck-fast

Are you aware this is the Lightroom SDK forum? (e.g. for plugin authors).

Consider re-posting in Photoshop Lightroom forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Um, I don't think this is an SDK forum...

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 6:58 AM   in reply to Rikk Flohr

A moderator moved the thread to the proper forum.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to stuck-fast

stuck-fast wrote:

Is there a feature in Lightroom where you can have the keywords in a hierarchy ticked automatically when the lowest level is ticked?  There is a feature in Bridge wkere you can change the default to let this happen.

Not sure what you mean by "ticked". Do you mean "Apply the higher level keywords to the photo when the lowest level keyword is applied"? In that case, I believe this should happen automatically. If I have a hierarchy

United States

Ohio

Cleveland

Warehouse District

and I apply the keyword "Warehouse District" to a photo, it also gets "United States","Ohio" and "Cleveland" and thus any search for a photo in any of these categories will find the photo that I applied "Warehouse District" keyword to.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to stuck-fast

My example was in Lightroom. Sorry for not making that clear.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 4:11 AM   in reply to stuck-fast

Because it was not showing a "tick" against all of the levels of the hierarchy

When I perform this operation of adding a lowest level keyword, there is then a check next to the lowest level keyword and a dash next to the higher level keywords. The dash indicates this is a "containing keyword" (it contains the lower level keyword), but it is nevertheless a keyword for that photo that can be searched for, and can be exported.

Makes me wonder why they should not be handled the same!  This is not the first inconsistency I have found between Bridge and Lightroom.

I have never understood why people think LR and Bridge should be the same. They are not the same program. They don't have to be the same. If they were the same, they would call Lightroom by the name "Bridge". They were designed to do different things within the realm of photo management.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:53 PM   in reply to stuck-fast

As I always say, if you want a program that operates the same as Bridge, then use Bridge.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points