Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to cut a barcode

May 1, 2013 1:13 AM

Tags: #bar #code #barcode #scissors

This would seem rather simple - I'm looking to to take a supplied barcode and cut across it vertically to eliminate price information found on one side, the EAN5 portion which contains pricing. The barcode has its own white background border box which can be romoved, but I see now way to divide / cut apart the barcode. When clicking on it with the direct select tool, each line and number breaks down to separate outlines, but all elements reamin grouped together (though under "Object" they do show as grouped).

I've tried the more labourious method of selectively covering up portions of the code with the background colour - but these route seems unneccessary; I should be able to cut the object in half.

What to try?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 1:22 AM   in reply to luca del carlo

Object Path>Release compound path

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 1:24 AM   in reply to luca del carlo

It must be a compound path, not a group.

No need to release it into separate objects, though. You can use the white arrow to move individual points.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 2:51 AM   in reply to luca del carlo

luca del carlo wrote:

I don't quite follow - using the white arrow is allowing me to do things like bezier curves, but not select individual bars and numbers to delete.

"Do" a bezier curve? The white arrow can be used to edit paths -- including deleting single points or entire sub-paths. Have you tried?

Look, top-to-bottom: 'grouped' object; ungrouped, so now you can see it's two compound paths; some of the individual parts of the compound path deleted using the white arrow.

The bottom image shows why I advise against Release Compound Path. Depending on how the image is constructed, after releasing you may not get the exact same image, even though these are the exact same paths.

compound-edit.PNG

compund-release.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 4:53 AM   in reply to luca del carlo

Seems to me it would be simpler to just cut the barcode in its frame to the clipboard, then paste into a new frame and crop it.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

Seems to me it would be simpler to just cut the barcode in its frame to the clipboard, then paste into a new frame and crop it.

.. I've been assuming this was native ID artwork because of Luca's assertion it can be ungrouped -- at least in a black foreground and a white background. My sample image is a barcode created with Marc Autret's EANDesign, which indeed creates native artwork.

Luca, perhaps your image is something like an embedded EPS or EMF. In that case you are correct; you cannot edit these with InDesign. Then all you can do is use Peter's trick.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 5:14 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

Even native artwork could be pasted into a new frame and cropped......

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to luca del carlo

Cropped Barcode.png

Actually, you don't even need to paste into a new frame if the barcode is a placed image of some sort. Just resize the frame it's in.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 4:11 AM   in reply to luca del carlo

luca del carlo wrote:

Resizing the frame as I've tried to convey, is not working as we are expecting. It results in changing the proportions of the barcode when using the black arrow (which would normally happen with the white arrow), and when using the white arrow, the frame can be removed, or the the lines and points stretched and altered, bu there is no way yet of cropping.

This means youare dealing with either a compound path or a group of pasted path. Use the black arrow to select the entire barcode object, whatever it is, and cut to the clipboard. Switch to a the frame tool and draw a blank frame where the barcode belongs, use the black arrow to select it and Edit > Paste Into. Now you can crop.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

Wouldn't it be better for them to work with the barcode in Illustrator?  That is what I would do.  Then when I had it cut apart the way I wanted it I would just copy the part that I was going to use and paste it into InDesign.

Randy

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 8:07 AM   in reply to The Digital Man

That's a valid approach, if you have Illustrator and know how to do it. I prefer the paste-into-and crop for a couple of reasons, though. First, it's faster, and second it doesn't require you to do any editing on the barcode, so you can use it both ways without having to save two files.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points