Skip navigation
G-Ahh
Currently Being Moderated

Email Contact Form Problem

May 1, 2013 5:31 AM

Tags: #cs6 #contact_form

I have set up a contact form on my website to be e-mailed to an e-mail address I have set up for the site on clicking the "submit" button. I have apparently succeeded in associating the PHP script to the form, as I get the PHP error message every time I click the submit button to show the e-mail has not been sent. Having worked my way down to the simplest of PHP scripts and triple checking all my variable details are matching the names in the HTML, I tried checking with my host Netcetera if there was something I needed to do at their end.

They replied "The form mail should be authenticated with a valid email address and its password. Please use SMTP host as mail.netcetera.co.uk"

I cannot find anyway of doing this directly in Dreamweaver nor any guidance on Adobe on how to do this.

Any ideas?

Gordon (Obviously a newbie)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to G-Ahh

Hi and welcome Gordon -

Open your PHP script file in any text editor or in DW code view, make the correction, save and upload to server.

If you're still having problems, please post the entire code for your script here.

A link to your page online will also help.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 6:24 AM   in reply to G-Ahh

Sounds to me as though your host is making you jump through hoops which is unecessary....I'd be out the door in a flash and onto another host that makes life easier. I've worked on dozens of servers over a few years an never come across this kind of crap.

Ask them to forward you an example of a form mail with php STMP authentication. Their resource center only shows an asp example which is no good to you.

https://my.netcetera.co.uk/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/Vi ew/98/0/using-aspemail-to-send-form-results

Thought I read in an early post that the host does not allow php 'mail' (for some  reason) so what are you using to send the mail?

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 1, 2013 7:14 AM   in reply to osgood_

It's probably hosted with IIS, thus the ASP extension. If you are using PHP, then you might want to check this link.:https://my.netcetera.co.uk/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/Vi ew/321/8/how-do-i-send-email-with-phpmailer-for-windows-hosting

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

Nice one Jim,

Couldn't find the reference myself to the php angle.........I'd get frustrated too quickly. I like to do things the way I know works for me so if I come up against any host which doesn't conform to MY requirements I wouldnt use them. I guess its the fault of the OP for not checking out what is best for them to use for ease of use.

Os

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to G-Ahh

I dont think they make that very clear in their example: I mean what the •••• is c: and why are the slashes all backwards instead of forwards / (maybe I'm missing something here or the host is)

require("c:\php\includes\class.phpmailer.php");

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 7:55 AM   in reply to G-Ahh

G-Ahh wrote:

Yep - they do the same thing with the slashes when giving their root

folder, which of course does not work. Been with Netcetera for 5 days and

feels like a month!

lol....good luck, hope you get the email problem resolved now you have some tangable information to work with.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 1, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to osgood_

You should probably check to see if it will even run PHP. Have you created a page with a php extension and if so does it display correctly?

Sometimes the script needs to be in a folder with permissons that allows scripts to run, which you might be able to do with a CPANEL control somewhere or a folder called scripts.

You shouldn't be required to use their script and should be able to write your own (I purchased software to do this, as I don't writ PHP mail processing scripts).

Jim

PS. Another thing that I have come across is that the sending email (from in your script) must actually be an email address. So if you are wanting to send a confirmation email, that address that is sending it to the form filler outer it can't be a junk address. If you can set up an email account for this form, I would suggest noreply@mydomain.com (with your domain information of course).

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 2, 2013 6:51 AM   in reply to G-Ahh

Gordon-can you provide a link to the trouble contact form? I am having a hard time trying to guess what might be wrong. If you have a few extra buck/pounds, then you might want to look at this for creating the script for you. It takes a few minutes to set up properly (and save your settings for the form), but this has worked for me across classic asp and php. I haven't tried the perl aspect yet and not that there is no technical support (lost their developer) but I have an older version and it works for asp and php.

http://www.bebosoft.com/products/formstogo/overview/

Os writes his own script and is very knowledgeable on this, me, don't write scripts too busy with all my other duties (lame excuse Os I know, but I'm sticking to it).

Jim

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    May 2, 2013 7:02 AM   in reply to G-Ahh

I noticed that the server was down. That's not good for business. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

Jim Carpenter wrote:

Os writes his own script and is very knowledgeable on this, me, don't write scripts too busy with all my other duties (lame excuse Os I know, but I'm sticking to it).

I like to know how things work becasue I feel more in control. There are some very good off the shelf form creators out there and if they suit your purpose no reason not to use them. I know nothing about phpmailer and using STMP validation though as I've never had the ocassion to deploy it (so far) - so unfortunatley can't really help in this situation.

Os

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points