Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Mac: Any way to hide the temporary .idlk files?

May 1, 2013 7:36 AM

Tags: #cs3 #mac_os_x #temporary_file

Hey folks --

I'm not sure if this has been cleared up in later versions, but in InD CS3, when a file is open it saves a temporary file in the same place. It seems to me that in every sane application, temporary files are tucked away and nicely hidden somehow. Is there a preference or something in ID to change this? I don't think it's an OS thing, because I've turned "hidden files" on and off in the Finder with no change, so...

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to scabbot

Nothing's changed. Those are InDesign lock files and they prevent a second instance of the file from being opened.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to scabbot

Come on now. Really, what's the difference what they're named?

And keep in mind they need to be crossplatform.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to scabbot

For what it's worth, Windows users SEE them as well.

When a force-quit leaves one undeleted, being able to see it is a benefit.

And Adobe has forgotten who got them where they are (Mac users).

*sigh*

OFCS

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:36 AM   in reply to scabbot

Okay, I'm just really curious...WHY is this is such a big deal to you?

They're only there when the file is open. The second you close the file

they go away.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to scabbot

On behalf of Adobe Systems Incorporated ...

The use of the tilde prefix is absolutely not a Windows convention to hide a file. We are not trying to hide those lock files at all. If you see a lock file in a directory with a corresponding InDesign document, it is indicative that either someone else is editing the file or a problem occurred that caused InDesign to abnormally terminate with the corresponding InDesign document open. Why would anyone want to “hide” that? Why would you want to hide them? If we wanted to hide the files, we could have used file attributes instead! In fact, the tilde (~) character is often used where one wants certain files to appear first in alphabetic display.

And please cut out this silliness with regards to platforms! Adobe wouldn't be nearly as viable a business if it wasn't for Windows users as well as Mac users and our cross-platform abilities. You like Macs? Mazel tov! Enjoy. But there is no “agenda” at Adobe with regards to platforms.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to scabbot

So you have InDesign files on your desktop? Maybe it's your workflow

that's poor, not the UX.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:56 AM   in reply to scabbot

scabbot wrote:

And I thought that they'd auto-restore after a force quit? I seem to recall something like that that happening to me, without needing to open the idlk file itself...

It's not about recovery or opening the lock files. If a lock file is orphaned, it can block subsequent edit-access to the file. Being able to find and manually delete it solves the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to scabbot

Who said you couldn't work on a server? The same people that told you a

tilda hid a Window file?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to scabbot

No it doesn't. A filename beginning with a tilde will apear at the top of the list when sorted alphabetically (the tilde coming before all alphanumeric characters), but it won't be hidden. Not sure where you looked this up, but it's wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 12:35 AM   in reply to scabbot

Putting a computer to sleep with an open network-based file is really seriously looking for a problem. Depending upon various network, server, and individual computer settings, trying to continue accessing such an “open” file is dicey, regardless of the application.

InDesign does indeed work with documents and links over a network. But you should be prudent in how you use same.

To answer another set of questions of yours, the reason why InDesign does have lock files and Photoshop and Illustrator, for example, don't is that very simply stated, InDesign-based documents tend to group projects as opposed to single-person works. The file formats are much more complex. Having interlocks and recovery mechanisms are key to InDesign being as stable as it is in terms of recovery of work in case of lost connections, network issues, hardware problems, etc.

If you don't like how Premiere shuts down its application when closing a project, complain to the Premiere development team. That was their decision and absolutely nothing to do with platform capabilities or conventions. Most Windows-based applications do not terminate when closing their last open project, document, etc.

- Dov

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:53 AM   in reply to scabbot

I think that saving files to your desktop is a disasterous workflow - it's not entirely your fault though - as it allows  you a quicker way to work.

Consider making folders within your My Documents folder for each project that you are working on.

Working from files on a desktop does get cluttered and it's not attractive to look at. I can't tell you the amount of times I've been at a clients workplace and see items strewn across their computer screen.

Remember, computers are a filing system, "desktop" literally means treat it like your own office desk, to make things more accessible and easy for yourself and others to find you should have a filing system in place that is easy for everyone to follow.

Mine simply goes from a Short cut on the desktop to the Graphic Design Folder

<Shortcut Graphic Design>

..<January>

......<Job 1>

......<Job 2>

......<etc>

..<February>

......<Job 1>

......<Job 2>

......<etc>

..<March>

......<Job 1>

......<Job 2>

......<etc>

..<April>

......<Job 1>

......<Job 2>

......<etc>

..<May>

......<Job 1>

......<Job 2>

......<Job 1>

......<etc>

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to scabbot

I'm having a problem with IDLK files also. Please help! The LOCK file icons will not go away when I save my INDD files to a folder. Is there anyway to hide them?

Oh, and here is a weird one... whenever I recieve an INDD file that has been burned to a disk from another designer on my team, I can modify it, but cannot save or export it to a PDF. A lock file is created instead, and the PDF never appears. This is driving me crazy.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 2:07 AM   in reply to CJALLEN3

CJALLEN3 wrote:

The LOCK file icons will not go away when I save my INDD files to a folder. Is there anyway to hide them?

You can save a file without closing it, and the lock file will still be there. That's because the lock file doesn't go away when you save—only when you close the file.

CJALLEN3 wrote:

whenever I recieve an INDD file that has been burned to a disk…cannot save or export it to a PDF.

Are you opening it from the burned disk or copying it to your HD and opening it there? If it's trying to save or export to the location of the original, it won't work with a burned disk.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points