Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Eroded" text look

May 1, 2013 8:40 AM

Hello,

I have a project that features a before and after of a website design, and I would like to create an appealing text intro.  Ideally the text would be 3d ray traced text, and I would like the "BEFORE" to have an eroded, almost crumbled look.  In contrast the "AFTER" would have a much cleaner look.  Any thoughts on how to create this eroded effect, maybe where peices are actually falling off of the text?  Thanks guys.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 6:59 AM   in reply to Fyin.com

This sounds like a job for a true 3D application and not AE.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 7:16 AM   in reply to Fyin.com

Fyin.com wrote:

Let the countdown begin to C4D lite!

Lite as in "You need to upgrade to do that"!

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Fyin.com

Heres a tutorial on a technique you might be able to alter to achieve your crmbling text look without a 3D program.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/procedural_crumble/

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:14 AM   in reply to Fyin.com

There is no fracturing tool in any Cinema 4D version. You will have to buy plug-ins for that. And erosion would require at least some displacement trickery, which you don't get in C4D Lite, either.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to Dave LaRonde

FWIW Blender has a great fracturing program as well as displacement.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Mylenium

> There is no fracturing tool in any Cinema 4D version. You will have to buy plug-ins for that.

You get some of the MoGraph tools with Cinema 4D Lite, including the Fracture object.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Being a C4D newbie I could be wrong, but I think there is a difference between the Fragment plugins that subdivides a polygonal object into pieces and the Fracture object that allows C4D to interact with those separate pieces.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

You get some of the MoGraph tools with Cinema 4D Lite, including the Fracture object.

It's not what people usually mean by a "fracturing tool" as in producing genuine shards, splinters or other debris. It merely operates on polygons as do the Explosion and Explosion FX deformers. Not saying that this can't look okay, but it's too limited in terms of the looks one can create and the level of control one can achieve. A more appropriate tool for C4D would be Trausi and the other products in this line, but Mr. Daigon has of course a point - there's such a tool in Blender.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points