Skip navigation
jasonalexandersleftnut
Currently Being Moderated

tables pulling apart when I resize my window?

May 1, 2013 6:18 AM

Hey guys, I'm new, please bare with me! I've searched the forums for the last few hours and haven't really found anything that'll help me so I figured I'd start a new topic:

The facts:

1. sliced up my layout into simple image blocks, layed them out with a table
  2. inserted table in a fluid DIV

Looks fine full screen, but when I drag the edge of my browser window smaller and smaller (trying to emulate a mobile device's screen size), my tables seem to pull apart vertically but not horizontally.

page in question: http://djnatural.phpwebhosting.com/jam1photo/test2/

anyone have any insight as to keep them from seperating?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 9:54 AM   in reply to jasonalexandersleftnut

This is what I see full screen

_Capture.jpg

Start by removing the apDiv1 and the table. After that modify the image to a managable size and use the 'alt' atribute so that you have some content on the page that can be read by screen readers and web spiders.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to jasonalexandersleftnut

This concept is never going to work.  Your images are grossly oversized & too huge for optimal viewing in average displays:

320 - 480px = Mobile

481-768px = Tablet portrait

768-1024px = Tablet landscape

1024-1232px = Desktops/Laptops.

One image alone is 3600px wide which is about 3.5 times bigger than the average desktop and more than 10 times larger than a smartphone.

Also Table layouts invariably fall apart in Fluid Grid Layouts.  It's better if you don't use them.

• Scale images down to something reasonable in your graphics editor. Total image size should be less than 900px wide.  On the web, less is more.  Smaller file size = faster page load.

• Build a responsive layout for Mobile first.  That's what everything else is based on.  Then arrange your tablet layout and finally your Desktop layout.
      See Screenshot.

CS6FluidGrid.jpg

Below is a working example of this Layout.  If you resize your viewport, the divs move and images re-size.

http://alt-web.com/FluidGrid/Fluid2.html

Hope this helps.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 10:32 AM   in reply to Nancy O.

I looked at this much earlier and just saw a black screen. I then started scrolling about all over the place to find the content and then gave up. I wasn't really sure what positive advice to provide to be honest, other than a major re-think.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to osgood_

Agreed. I had to agressively Zoom out in Firefox to make any sense of it.  Even then it didn't work. 

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points