Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Find Font - weird thing happening in UI?

May 1, 2013 9:10 AM

In CS5.5 on Windows XP

I am going to Find and Find Format

In Basic Character Formats

Font Family

It's only listing the Fonts used in the document?

Is this normal?

I've reset the prefs but that hasn't changed anything.

Just thought it was weird and wondering if something has gone strange or if it's normal.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

It appears to be normal. A completely blank document has no choices at all.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

That said, I think it's a bug. I see fonts in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

>  I see fonts in CS6.

All fonts? Ever since I can remember, in the FIND box ou can only see the fonts actually in your document. Only in the CHANGE field you can see them all.

There seems to be a rare bug that every now and then rears its ugly head and you don't get to see a certain font in the Find list (last time it was with Microsoft's "Courier" bitmap font, which inexplicably made a guest appearance in an imported Word document), but usually replacing it using the Find Font dialog with a more normal font fixes this.

I actually use this feature to quickly and reliably change certain characters in weird fonts to correct ones. This way I don't have to scroll through my endless list just to check *if* the font is used anywhere.

... Are you saying "some useful features may have been removed"?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to [Jongware]

A brand new file, nothing on the page, and I'm seeing what looks like a subset of the recently used fonts selection.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Peter Spier wrote:

A brand new file, nothing on the page, and I'm seeing what looks like a subset of the recently used fonts selection.

That's consistent with my finding in CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to Eugene Tyson

I'm a little confused about the goal here. How would searching for a font that *isn't* used in the document be useful?

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 2:58 PM   in reply to Mary Posner

Mary Posner wrote:

I'm a little confused about the goal here. How would searching for a font that *isn't* used in the document be useful?

Mary, I agree -- although Eugene doesn't seem to think it's that illogical

But we happen to stumble on something in CS6 here. In my CS4, I get consistent -- logical -- behavior: I can only search for fonts that are in my document. In CS6, however, the top list is populated with the "Number of Recent Fonts", followed by a division bar -- change the number of recent fonts to see lists of different lengths.

Below the bar I get to see actual document fonts.

.. Wait, I'm going to try something. Hold on for a mo'.

Okay, the script property "document.fonts" seems unaffected. Regardless of what you see in the Find box, this one still lists the actual number of used fonts.

Eugene: the behavior up to CS 5.5 is logical and consistent. In CS6, though, I would call it "broken". Anyone care enough to file it as a bug, before it's called a "feature" and included in CSWhateverNumberIsNext?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points