Skip navigation
LeslieIrene
Currently Being Moderated

Arial boldface applied in Word disappears when imported. Help!

May 1, 2013 9:13 AM

Tags: #missing_font #arial_bold #microsoft_fonts #boldface_lost

Two Arial fonts are available (Suitcase 4 in use--not sure that it a good thing!), both Open Type--TT fonts, but SLIGHTLY different versions. I would presume one was installed by Microsoft and one by InDesign.

When I import a MicroSoft doc into a template (stylesheets are all in working order--matching on both ends), I get a message that says that Arial Bold MT is missing, but when I go to Find Font, the Open Type version is listed as open and available--in fact it lists two Arial Boldface fonts available---of course, with the same name. Yet Arial Bold has been stripped out of the text.

As I have two of everything Arial open, obviously the doc/template is requesting both styles.

Of course, the boldface has been applied with a button in Word when used an Arial roman paragraph style.

Anyone else have this problem???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to LeslieIrene

Two Arial fonts are available

Well, right off the bat, that's a bad thing. InDesign behaves in odd ways when there are two identically-named fonts installed and active. I suspect that this should answer your entire question, but just for the sake of complete answers:

(Suitcase 4 in use--not sure that it a good thing!)

Some people love it, others hate it. People who upgrade to Suitcase Fusion usually report that it's much better. One generic troubleshooting step we always advise when people who use Suitcase report font problems is "Turn that thing off!" but I think you can probably fix your issue just by removing dupes of Arial.

I would presume one was installed by Microsoft and one by InDesign.

InDesign doesn't install Arial. I don't know where your dupe came from.

I get a message that says that Arial Bold MT is missing, but when I go to Find Font, the Open Type version is listed as open and available--in fact it lists two Arial Boldface fonts available---of course, with the same name. Yet Arial Bold has been stripped out of the text.

It's asking for ArialMT, right? Same (or very similar) font with different naming conventions. I use the Find Font interface to remap ArialMT to Arial on a daily basis. Seems to be chronic when using old Word templates in a cross-platform workflow.

As I have two of everything Arial open, obviously the doc/template is requesting both styles.

Just deactivating one might solve your issue, but:

Of course, the boldface has been applied with a button in Word when used an Arial roman paragraph style.

it could be a style-and-formatting problem in Word. Some of my translators have been using the same normal.dot in Word for more than a decade, the .dot file can accrete garbage over the years in some usage scenarios. Combine that with a "I copy a lot of text out of PDF and paste into Word" workflow, and you wind up with ArialMT popping up all over the place.

Anyone else have this problem???

Well, as I reported above - yes, but I don't think of it as a problem. It just comes with the territory of dealing with a wide variety of Word docs of varying degrees of cruftiness. Your options are slim here - you can fix styles in Word, or fix stuff in InDesign. In particular:

When I import a MicroSoft doc into a template (stylesheets are all in working order--matching on both ends)

if you have any styles based on other styles in InDesign or Word, this can throw a wrench into your workflow. There are a bunch of other problematic cases, depending on who gives you Word files, and how much control you have over how they use Word. If my above comments don't help you kill this problem off, can you tell us more about the Word end of your workflow?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points