Skip navigation
aggie815
Currently Being Moderated

Super-beginner question about maintaining perspective

May 1, 2013 11:13 AM

Tags: #perspective

I'll apologize upfront if there is a better place to post this question.  I've completed the Adobe classroom in a book and know just enough to be dangerous, but not enough to actually accomplish anything...I'm just trying to create a simple label for a candle.  I've purchased a vector border from a website and am trying to resize it, but I can't seem to figure out how to resize without losing the perspective of the elements in the border.  The original border is designed to fit a standard 8 1/2 x 11 page, but I want to resize it to fit a label that is about 6" wide and 3.5" tall.  I'm so confused about all the combinations of shift+drag and shift+option+whatever+whatever - - - I can't keep them all straight.  If anyone can help I would be so grateful.  I'll hush up now and go try and find a cheat sheet or something that would make me even more dangerous...thank you thank you thank you if you've even read this blasted post!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to aggie815

In the Transform Panel, make sure the height and width are linked (see screen capture below, circled in red). If you dont see the little black brackets above and below the link symbol, then click on the symbol. Then you can enter either a height or width, and the other dimension will scale in proportion.

--OB

size.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to aggie815

What I beleive you are looking to do is called sclae in proportion, to do that hold down shift.

Your 2 sizes are not a perfect scale or proportionate of each other. What you want to do is get one dimension correct, and then you can with the direct slect tool move and copy elements to the get the oether dimension.

Tyr this to get up to speed with Illustrator

1. Rotate (hold down shift) your 8.5" x 11" 90 degrees so 11" is across the width
    2. In the transform palette enter 3.5" over the 8.5" Height and hit CMD Enter (this guaratess you to scale proportionate incase the cahin link is nto set to work in the tranform palette)
    3. Finally modify your border manually with the direct select tool to get the roufghly 34.5 inches to be 6". You can option drag lements to make copies, and hold down shift sop the copies move in 45° angles)

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Mike Gondek

Sorry Old Bob, I was too slow in replying.

|
    Mark as:
    May 1, 2013 11:49 AM   in reply to aggie815

Click on the chain, and the brackets will get added.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points