Skip navigation
RoseyMagnolias
Currently Being Moderated

Edges not smooth after recoloring

May 1, 2013 5:07 PM

Tags: #edges #blur

I am a novice in photoshop and I've been going crazy trying to accomplish what seems to be an easy process. I received an illustrator file of a logo that I'm trying to work on...it has several issues that I'm trying to fix...in photoshop because I have no idea how to use illustrator.

My major issue is recoloring parts of the image while keeping the edges smooth. It's currently brown and I just need it black. I have tried the following methods:

Magic wand the brown part and create a new layer via copy

-using brush to simply paint over it

-using paint can to fill the selection - anti aliased, I've changed the tolerance a million times

Use straight paint brush to trace over it, using a soft edge brush

-my hand isn't steady enough to do it

Magic wand and create new layer then do and over lay

Converting it to black and white

-it turns gray

Adjusting layer hues, contrast, etc

I've googled how to soften edges and have found nothing that accomplishes the simple task of changing it to black... Please help!! :-|

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to RoseyMagnolias

If you are looking to keep the smooth vector edges found in the original Illustrator file... You should be editing in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 2:39 AM   in reply to RoseyMagnolias

Can you post an example?

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to RoseyMagnolias

Magic wand the brown part and create a new layer via copy

Using an anti-aliased Magic Wand selection as the Mask of a Layer above the original anti-aliased content can easily result in edge issues.

Often it is better to use the Channels to »reverse-engineer« the »objects«.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 7:26 AM   in reply to RoseyMagnolias

I have no idea how to use illustrator...which is why I'm trying to do it in Photoshop.

Yes, it can be done in Photoshop, but the result will no longer be scaleable vector art.

It's kind of like if I had a piece of furniture held together with screws. Some of them are a bit loose, and I'd like to fix it. I have no idea how to use a screwdriver, so I pound them back in with a hammer. It works after a fashion, but the end result is not as stable as it would have been using a screwdriver; the piece is in fact somewhat damaged by my repair efforts.

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to SRiegel

And if you have Illustrator, which it sounds like you do, it is pretty darn easy to change the color of an object. One or two clicks probably. It might be worth your effort to spend 30 minutes online to learn how to change the Color Fill of a shape in AI.

Again, you'll get better advice if you can post an image.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points