Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

For Motion, is there a Set Keyframes button?

May 1, 2013 8:44 PM

On page 435 of the CS6 PDF it states:

Because the Position, Scale, and Rotation properties are spatial in nature, it’s easiest to adjust them directly in the Program Monitor.

After setting keyframe parameters in the Effect Controls panel by entering numbers to position, scale and rotate a still, I have to say I totally agree with that statement. It is much easier to adjust an image visually than by numbers.

So, I take the Playhead to a certain position, set up my still just the way I want, and then I go looking for the Set Keyframes button (note the plural) to set all the necessary keyframes in one go – and I can't find it. I've set up my still, but if I don't click, click, click to add all the keyframes at each waypoint, the setup is lost.

Is there a Set Keyframes button which sets all keyframes at each waypoint?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 1, 2013 10:33 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

Sort of.

If you click on all of the stop watches before you change anything, every time you move the CTI and make a change to the position or scale or whatever, it adds keyframes automagically.

Edit: and if you click on the little diamonds they set keyframes.

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 3, 2013 9:04 AM   in reply to Guy Burns

(note the plural) to set all the necessary keyframes in one go – and I can't find it.....

What are you trying to "set all the necessary keyframes" to do?

Scale up? Scale down? Slide away? Reposition?

Premiere doesn't know what you want it to do until

you give it at least two keyframes to work with.

Premiere calculates the positioning between your set keyframes.

keys.PNG

You can't set multiple keyframes for the same transformation

in one stroke.

So, I take the Playhead to a certain position, set up my still

just the way I want, and then I go looking for the Set Keyframes button

Set a 'default position' keyframe at the beginning of the clip first

(or add a 'default position' keyframe at the current frame,

then slide it back to where you wish the motion to begin).

Then, set up your still just the way you want, and a new

keyframe will be automatically created at that frame.

Premiere will take care of the 'tweening'.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Excellent explanation joe!

A while back I placed a FR for being able to enable all of an effect's stopwatches at once.  Take the 16 point garbage matte for example.  That's 16 stopwatches that need to be clicked if you want to animate each parameter!  I have an even simpler solution compared to the one I presented years ago:

Click Stopwatch = Stopwatch Activates

SHIFT-Click Stopwatch = All of that effect's stopwatches are activated at once

This would work in the same spirit as SHIFT clicking tracks to enable/disable all of them at once.  What do you think?  I'm submitting a new FR for this now. 

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 3, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

I would prefer the operation to work as it does in Ae.

You can click-drag on the 'stopwatch' icons to activate keyframing

for multiple parameters at once, and set an initial keyframe.

SetKeys_Ae.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Hi Joe,

Yes, I agree and would love to see this feature added to all aspects of PP's interface! +1  I sent a FR for that too some time ago.

Did you send a FR for that?

Here's the FR I just sent for a SHIFT-modifier.  Feel free to copy/paste to send it as your own.  I'll send Adobe another FR for AE style click-slide selectable parameters and paste it here so you can copy/paste it as your own FR if you'd like.  Of course, both of these solutions can happily co-exist, but between the two, I would prefer the AE approach you suggest:

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: SHIFT-Activate all Effect stopwatches

How would you like the feature to work?

When keyframing effects with several stopwatches, having to click each individual stopwatch wastes a lot of time.  For example, with the Sixteen-Point Garbage Matte, that's up to 16 clicks!  A better solution would be to allow users to SHIFT-Click on any Effect's stopwatch to instantly activate (or deactivate) all of that Effect's stopwatches at once.  This would work much the same way the Timeline allows users to SHIFT select/deselect all Video or Audio tracks at once.

Why is this feature important to you?

Efficiency through the elimination repetitive tasks is key to a productive editing workflow (especially when eliminating those repetitive tasks is as simple as re-purposing a current keyboard modifier).

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    May 3, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Did you send a FR for that?

Nope.

I don't do a lot of keyframing in Pr anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 10:57 AM   in reply to joe bloe premiere

Here's the FR I just sent based on your suggestion Joe.  Everyone who likes this request, please copy/paste it as your own FR by sending it here: www.adobe.com/go/wish.

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: After Effects-style click-slide selection of parameters

How would you like the feature to work?

Just the way it does in After Effects!  The ability to click on 1 checkbox/ stopwatch and slide the cursor over other checkboxes/stopwatches to instantly copy the value is a brilliant time saver.

Why is this feature important to you?

Efficiency through the elimination repetitive tasks is key to a productive editing workflow!  Inefficiencies are especially frustrating when they exist in some but not all of a company's programs.  AE has already paved the way with a brilliant solution.  Now all that Premiere has to do is follow AE's example.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:26 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

Hi Guy,

For what you're asking, I think my Feature Request for "SHIFT-Activate all Effect stopwatches" would work well.  With this feature, you could set the first 'state' you want, SHIFT-Click on any Motion stopwatch, and then set your second 'state'.  This would work the same as a separate 'Set Keyframes' button, but through a keyboard modifier instead of a separate button (a more minimalist/elegant solution IMO).  A tool tip could even help new and current users find out about the keyboard modifier.  For example, hovering the cursor over a stopwatch could bring up the tool tip: "SHIFT-Click to simultaneously toggle all effect's stopwatches". 

What do you think?  Would this solve the issue for you?  If so, make sure you send Adobe an official FR.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:41 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

Once Motion is selected, I would have thought all stopwatches should be set at each waypoint

Oh, God no.  If I want a parameter keyframed, I'll turn it on myself.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

You're right Jim.  Users need to be able to choose if they want just one stopwatch activated or not, hence the necessity of the solution being fully user-selectable.  i.e. click a stopwatch if you only want that one stopwatch activated (current behavior).  SHIFT-click a stopwatch if, and only if, you want all of the effect's stopwatches toggled in unison (behavior I FRed). 

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2013 9:51 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

That'd work.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to Guy Burns

Under what circumstances is it desirable not to set all stopwatches?

Whenever I want a parameter changed for the entire duration of the clip.  Happens a lot when I create sideshows.  Sometimes I change the scale over time, so I turn keyframes for Scale on.  Sometimes I make the image larger, but only change the position over time, so I want that keyframed.  Sometimes I use rotation, and want it to change, sometimes I use rotation and want it fixed.

The point is, I'm the editor, not the software.  Let me make the decision.  'Automatic' features just get in the way.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 6:25 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

I believe you might be overthinking it.

Simply allow us to run the mouse over the stopwatches like we do in another Adobe program. That would be fine. Having a modifier that allows us to Ctrl-Click  or Cmd-Click one of the stopwatches to cause the rest to be set would work even better.

There is a reason not to automatically put a keyframe at each location. Sometimes just a couple of keyframes are sufficient for one parameter while dozens are needed on another. Sometimes I want to set my curve without having to go back and delete all the in between keyframes I didn't want.

There is no need for a "log keyframes". Any changes are registered imnmediately. Much better as far as I am concerned.

Anyone who worries about what the keyframes look like is probably wasting time worrying about the wrong things.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

I still don't follow why setting all stopwatches at all waypoints causes problems.

Because if I only want one of the four parameters on, I then have to go and turn the other three off.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:48 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

what is the problem with logging all states at each waypoint?

The problem is the program is doing something I may not want it to do, and that's bad.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

If I don't want keyframes on any of the Motion parameters, and they all get turned on at the same time, then I have to go through and turn off the ones I don't want keyframed.  A modifier to turn them all on or off is fine, but not by default.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

It's probably OK to have all parameters logged with a single keyframe addition when the interpolation of those keyframes is linear and will never be anything else.  However, if you decide you want smooth Bezier keyframes or accelerated eases into keyframes, then logging all parameters can introduce unwanted wobble in all sorts of unexpected ways.  It's one of the reasons that the first After Effects preference I change is to set the default spatial interpolation to linear.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 8:13 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

I am not sure where my explanation failed. I will try again.

There are times I set a keyframe for scale at the begining and then again towards the end of a clip. Then I set the curve using bezier handles. If I had keyframes halfway through, or worse yet, every few frames or even more often because I was adjusting other parameters, I could not do this with one curve. I would either have to adjust hundreds or thousands of curves, or simply erase the keyframes in the middle. Why should I have to erase what I did not want in the first place?

As I said, there are great solutions, like using the Adobe After Effects method of dragging the mouse over the stopwatches.

I could get used to having all stopwatches on by default I suppose, but it would be annoying. I would much rather have a way to turn them all on, then have to have a way to turn them all off.

Edit: Jeff types faster than I do, I think.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:22 PM   in reply to Guy Burns

Instead of discussing whether it should or shouldn't be possible to toggle all stopwatches at once, why don't we all submit feature requests for a SHIFT key modifier that toggles all stopwatches, a solution that would solve this problem by giving every user the right to choose? 

Given the simplicity of this feature, I'm sure if enough of us ask for it, well get it sooner than later!

Jim is right when he wrote: "If I don't want keyframes on any of the Motion parameters, and they all get turned on at the same time, then I have to go through and turn off the ones I don't want keyframed."

Changing the default behaviour to 'toggle all stopwatches' would break our current workflow and frustrate more users than I can imagine.  What we need is a choice, without disrupting the current workflow.  That's what a keyboard modifier would give us.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2013 9:24 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven L. Gotz wrote:

I could get used to having all stopwatches on by default I suppose, but it would be annoying.

I don't think it would be annoying Steven, I think it would be VERY annoying!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I could get used to having all stopwatches on by default I suppose

I would HATE that.   It's bad enough Opacity was turned on by default, having all the Motion parameters also turned on would suck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to Guy Burns

Those type of answers are not satisfying explanations.

To you maybe.  But I disagree with Jeff.  I don't normally change keyframe interpolation and feel those reasons are precisely why this should not be done.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points