Skip navigation
jkrys
Currently Being Moderated

Editing Local Dynamic Pages - How To?

May 2, 2013 6:38 AM

Tags: #cs5 #site #dynamic #edit #in

I figure this should be something simple but I can't seem to figure out how to do it. In the past I believe this is something I was able to do in DW.

I've set up my website locally running off my local server and everything there seems to be working in DW. I can view the live page and live code. However, I can't view the live page and edit that page.

Does anyone have any recommendation on how I can best add some code into a dynamic page? I'm running CS5. Here's a screenshot of an example. Let's say I wanted to insert some simple code where the arrrow is.

I really need some help on this as it's something I was under the impression I could do. Thanks for any help you can give.

SS5.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to jkrys

Turn off Live Code and you will be able to edit the source code while Live View is turned on.

Turn off Live View and you will be able to edit in Design View.

Live Code is a debugging tool that shows you how scripting changes your site's code as you click buttons, hover over images, etc. It is not for making edits and needs to be turned off in order to change things.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to jkrys

When I turn off Live Code and leave Live View on the code displayed is just of index.php (no matter what live page I'm on). So I can't really edit anything.

That's right.  Those files contain nothing to edit.  It's all just PHP programming that the server parses into content from the database and countless other files (server-side includes).  

A WordPress site really is a one page site -- index.php.  That page is re-created on the fly each time someone clicks a link or uses the search bar.

If you have worked with WordPress before, you should know you cannot edit dynamic pages in DW.  You can only edit the parts that make up those pages.  Those parts are inside your Themes folder.

header.php

sidebar.php

footer.php

index.php

single.php

page.php

archive.php

category.php

tag.php

etc...

Design View is pretty much useless.  You must be able to work with code.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points