Skip navigation
Bev600
Currently Being Moderated

Laptop spec for Photoshop

May 2, 2013 7:45 AM

Hi,

I'm sure this question has come up before but I'm putting together a laptop that will be mainly used for Photoshop, CS5 at the moment but later CS6 and possibly a bit of video editing as well. Any advice on whether it might be lacking in something or possibly overkill on others would be very welcome.

Lenovo ThinkPad W530

•     Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz).

•     Windows 8 Pro 64.

•     15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, with color calibration sensor.

•     NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory.

•     16 GB DDR3 - 1600MHz (2 DIMM).

•     128GB Solid State Drive, SATA3.

•     DVD Recordable 8x Max, Dual Layer, Ultrabay Enhanced w/ SW Royalty for Windows 8.             

Not sure whether the 128GB SSD drive will be enough for the OS and programs but I'll be using external drives for storage.

Thanks,

Vince                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 2, 2013 7:09 PM   in reply to Bev600

As I'm primarily a Mac user and not a big fan of laptops (though I have three of those myself), I'll comment on the hard drive space only.

•     128GB Solid State Drive, SATA3.

That's downright pathetic.  Unrealistically small.

Shoot for at least 300 or 500 GB, and plan on a dedicated, physically separate hard drive for Photoshop scratch disk.

No danger of overkill with the rest of your planned specs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to station_two

I dont use a seperate HD for scratch, just to store my photos. I dont store my photos on my laptop, just the external HD so I have like 300gigs of empty space on my laptop to use for scratch which works out fine.

|
    Mark as:
    May 3, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to Bev600

Putting the OS, apps, Ps scratch, and current projects files on the one internal drive will be plenty fast when that drive is an SSD. An external drive for Ps scratch seems likely to make Ps slower than that. Get a decent size of SSD in the laptop, though, such as 480 or 512 GB.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points